World

Italy curbs Christmas travel to avoid virus 'third wave'

New rules to act in tandem with existing regulations

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 04 Dec 2020 12:30AM

Italy curbs Christmas travel to avoid virus 'third wave'
Italy's Health Minister Roberto Speranza says the country, one of the worst-hit by Covid-19 in Europe, cannot let its guard down or a third wave of infections is inevitable. – Twitter pic, December 4, 2020

ROME – Italy have announced national travel restrictions for the Christmas holidays designed to limit the spread of Covid-19 in the European country first hit by the pandemic.

The new rules, together with an existing curfew and other regulations already in place, seek to curb circulation throughout the country during the festive period by limiting the number of gatherings.

Earlier this year, a punishing national lockdown in the country of 60 million citizens helped bring the outbreak under control, but the government is trying to avoid missteps made over the summer after the lockdown lifted, when the return of vacationers fuelled a new rise in cases.

“If we let down our guard now, the third wave is just around the corner,” Health Minister Roberto Speranza told parliament on Wednesday.  

Travel between Italy's regions will be prohibited from December 21 through January 6, with people barred from travelling outside their own towns on December 25, 26 and January 1.

The decree includes the “strong recommendation” to avoid hosting those who do not live together. 

Other regulations set to be signed are expected to mandate a 10-day quarantine for those arriving in Italy from foreign countries, beginning on December 20.

The move is in part designed to prevent Italians from travelling to ski slopes that are still open in neighbouring EU countries.

The government is expected to retain a colour-coded risk-based system that imposes varying levels of anti-coronavirus restrictions on different regions.

Bars and restaurants are expected to remain closed in regions in red or orange zones. A current 6pm (5pm GMT) closure in yellow zones may remain, as may a nationwide 10pm (9pm GMT) curfew. 

In yellow zones, where eateries are open but required to shut at 6pm, the government is debating whether to allow restaurants to serve lunch on Christmas Day and December 26. 

Ski slopes are expected to be off-limits, as well as cruises. 

The health ministry reported 20,709 new cases on Wednesday and 684 deaths, bringing the cumulative toll to more than 1.6 million infections. – AFP, December 3, 2020.

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington