World

UK in £5 bil defence boost to respond to Russia, China

Investment to fund next phase of Aukus submarine programme, among others

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 13 Mar 2023 8:00AM

UK in £5 bil defence boost to respond to Russia, China
A statement from UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s office says the £5-billion investment as part of the Integrated Review Refresh will help to replenish ammunition stocks, modernise the UK’s nuclear enterprise, and fund the next phase of the Aukus submarine programme. – AFP pic, March 13, 2023

LONDON – UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak today announced a £5 billion (RM27.3 billion) investment in defence as part of a review aimed at responding to emerging geopolitical threats from Russia and China.

The investment comes after Sunak’s Defence Minister Ben Wallace warned in January that the British armed forces were “hollowed out and underfunded”.

The investment, part of the 2023 Integrated Review Refresh (IR23), will help to replenish ammunition stocks, modernise the UK’s nuclear enterprise, and fund the next phase of the Aukus submarine programme, a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office said.

“As the world becomes more volatile and competition between states becomes more intense, the UK must be ready to stand our ground,” Sunak said.

“By investing in our armed forces for the long-term, we will be ready for the challenges of today and of the future.”

The IR23 also aims to increase defence spending to 2.5% of gross domestic product in the longer term.

The review was commissioned to respond to emerging geopolitical threats, “from Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine” to China’s “economic coercion” and increased competition between states.

Other measures include creating a new National Protective Security Authority, establishing an Economic Deterrence Initiative, doubling funding for a government-wide China Capabilities programme, and setting up a new Integrated Security Fund worth £1 billion.

“We have seen all too clearly in the last year how global crises impact us at home, with Russia’s appalling invasion of Ukraine driving up energy and food prices,” Sunak said.

“We will fortify our national defences, from economic security to technology supply chains and intelligence expertise, to ensure we are never again vulnerable to the actions of a hostile power.” – AFP, March 13, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Malaysians told to stay away from protest areas in UK

Malaysia / 2y

Malaysian students in UK recreate mixed rice experience in viral video

Malaysia / 2y

Minister’s visit to propel Malaysia, UK ties into new era

World / 2y

UK man wrongly interviewed live on air to sue BBC over lost earnings

World / 3y

British Museum sacks employee after items found missing

World / 3y

UK defence minister to step down at next cabinet reshuffle

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt