World

Australia’s Queensland renews bid for 2032 Olympics

State Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says plans are underway to reestablish an ‘Olympics taskforce’  and bring the Games to Queensland

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Dec 2020 3:16PM

Australia’s Queensland renews bid for 2032 Olympics
Australia is one of roughly five countries vying for the games in 2032, according to Coates, making it important for Queensland to show they are willing to move forward with the bid says China’s Xinhua news agency –  Wikipedia pic, December 7, 2020

SYDNEY – Officials in the Australian State of Queensland reaffirmed their bid to host the 2032 Olympic Games on Monday, after having put their effort on hold to deal with Covid-19.

State Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told reporters that plans are underway to reestablish an “Olympics taskforce” and determine the next stages required to bring the Games to Queensland.

According to Xinhua news agency, she said that those involved were keeping a close eye on developments with the Tokyo Olympics, scheduled for July 23, 2021.

“It’s very important from a Queensland point of view that we get to see what happens with the Tokyo Olympics in this post-Covid world.

“And hopefully with the positive signs of the vaccine, things could be very positive in the future. So we're here to keep an open mind,” Palaszczuk told reporters on Monday.

John Coates, vice-president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and president of the Australian Olympic Committee, was among those who met with Palaszczuk on Monday.

Australia is one of roughly five countries vying for the games in 2032, according to Coates, making it important for Queensland to show they are willing to move forward with the bid, Xinhua reported.

“With Covid under control in this country largely, that it is time for everyone to reaffirm their commitment to these games, and I think that's going to be very well received,” Coates said.

Coates added that he and IOC President Thomas Bach met with Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga in Tokyo last month, confirming that next year's games would “definitely” go ahead.

“The Games are going ahead, and all of the arrangements are in place for the games to go ahead. If we have a vaccine that will make life easier, but whatever happens the athletes will be allowed into Japan,” Coates said. – Bernama,  December 7, 2020 

Related News

Sports & Fitness / 2y

Chong Wei’s concern justified, but doesn’t reflect team’s overall performance: BAM

Sports & Fitness / 2y

Andy Low's statement not fair to Pandelela - Abdul Karim

Sports & Fitness / 2y

Paris 2024: Podium Programme athletes must double up efforts to qualify – Hannah

Sports & Fitness / 2y

Badminton fraternity mourns death of former BAM president

Art / 3y

Paris celebrates night-time art festival

Sports & Fitness / 3y

‘Advantage Malaysia if other countries boycott Paris Olympics’

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit