World

Unrest in France prompts postponement of King Charles III trip

Protesters threaten to disrupt royal visit, streets of capital strewn with rubbish after strike by waste collectors

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 25 Mar 2023 12:00PM

Unrest in France prompts postponement of King Charles III trip
French President Emmanuel Macron has asked to postpone King Charles III’s trip to France during talks yesterday, with the change blamed on a call for fresh strikes next Tuesday on the second day of the king’s tour. – Wikipedia pic, March 25, 2023

PARIS – Violent protests against pensions reform in France led to the postponement yesterday of King Charles III’s trip to the country, highlighting the growing security and political problems faced by President Emmanuel Macron.

The French president condemned the latest burst of violence overnight, while the Council of Europe criticised the “excessive use of force” by some police officers during recent demonstrations.

King Charles’ first foreign trip as monarch had been intended to highlight warming Franco-British relations. Instead, it has underlined the severity of demonstrations engulfing Britain’s neighbour.

Macron asked for the postponement during talks yesterday, a UK government spokesman said, with the change blamed on a call for fresh strikes next Tuesday on the second day of the king’s tour.

The decision was made “to welcome His Majesty King Charles III in conditions which reflect our friendly relations”, Macron’s office said.

Police arrested more than 450 people on Thursday, according to Interior Ministry figures. In addition, 441 members of the security forces were injured on the most violent day of protests since the start of the year against Macron’s bid to raise the retirement age from 62 to 64.

More than 900 fires were lit around Paris, with radical anarchist groups blamed for setting uncollected rubbish ablaze and smashing shop windows, leading to frequent clashes with riot police.

But rights groups, magistrates and left-wing politicians have also denounced alleged police brutality in recent days.

And the Council of Europe – the continent’s leading human rights watchdog – warned that sporadic acts of violence “cannot justify excessive use of force by agents of the state” or “deprive peaceful protesters of their right to freedom of assembly”.

In the northeast city of Rennes, regional officials denied claims by union leaders that police had deliberately targeted them with tear gas and a water cannon during Thursday’s protests in a bid to intimidate them.

Over a million 

In Bordeaux, protesters set fire to the ancient wooden entrance to the city hall on Thursday. King Charles had been set to visit the southwestern city on Tuesday, after a day in Paris.

Some observers feel the cancellation would avoid further embarrassment for France, with protesters threatening to disrupt the royal visit and the streets of the capital strewn with rubbish because of a strike by waste collectors.

The second leg of Charles’ European tour – to Germany – is expected to proceed as scheduled on Wednesday.

More than a million people marched in France on Thursday, the protest movement reinvigorated by Macron’s tactics and statements over the last week.

Uproar over the legislation to change the retirement age – which Macron pushed through Parliament without a vote last week – has created another huge domestic crisis for the president just 10 months into his second term in office.

“I condemn the violence and offer my full support to the security forces who worked in an exemplary manner,” Macron told reporters yesterday during a trip to Brussels.

Macron’s decision to force the legislation through Parliament and his refusal to back down in a television interview on Wednesday appeared to have energised many opponents on Thursday.

Trash 

Commentators are questioning how the crisis will end, just four years after the “Yellow Vest” anti-government demonstrations rocked the country. 

“No one knows where the way out lies,” political scientist Bastien Francois from the Sorbonne University in Paris said.

“Everything depends on one man who is a prisoner of the political situation.”

The leader of the moderate CFDT union, Laurent Berger, said yesterday he had spoken to an aide to the president and suggested a pause on implementing the pensions law for six months.

“It’s the moment to say ‘listen, let’s put things on pause, let’s wait six months’,” Berger told RTL radio. “It would calm things down.”

Blockades of oil refineries by striking workers continued yesterday, but the energy transition ministry said it had requisitioned enough workers to restart production at one of these, and resume fuel supply to the capital.

Some flights have been cancelled until at least Wednesday at airports around the country due to a strike by air traffic controllers.

Police and protesters will face off again Saturday, and not just at demonstrations over the pensions reform.

At Saint Solines, central France, thousands of people are expected at a protest against the deployment of new water-storage infrastructure for agricultural irrigation, despite an official ban on the gathering. – AFP, March 25, 2023

Related News

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Malaysia / 6mth

Rafizi calls on PH partners to make a clear stand over Azam Baki issue

World / 11mth

Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli resigns after violent anti-corruption protests

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran