World

Christchurch mosques attack could only have been prevented ‘by chance’: inquiry

Royal commission calls for sweeping changes to counter-terrorism operations in response to white supremacist attack in which 51 Muslim worshippers died

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 08 Dec 2020 6:00PM

Christchurch mosques attack could only have been prevented ‘by chance’: inquiry
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern welcomes the inquiry's review and vows to look at all 44 recommendations. – AFP pic, December 8, 2020

WELLINGTON – New Zealand security services did not focus enough on the threat from right-wing terror in the run-up to last year's Christchurch mosques attack, but could only have prevented the murders "by chance", an inquiry reported today.

The royal commission – the most powerful judicial probe available under New Zealand law – called for sweeping changes to counter-terrorism operations in response to the white supremacist attack in which 51 Muslim worshippers died.

The 800-page report said spy agencies had placed an "inappropriate" focus on Islamist extremism before the attack and did not sufficiently explore the right-wing terror threat.

But it stopped short of saying authorities could have prevented the massacre, finding that the "fragmentary" information available about lone-wolf shooter Brenton Tarrant prior to the killings was not enough to mark him as a threat.

"There was no plausible way he could have been detected except by chance," said the report on the March 2019 attack, in which Tarrant targeted men, women and children who had gathered for Friday prayers in the South Island city.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern welcomed the review and vowed to look at all 44 recommendations.

She said another major criticism in the report – lax firearms law enforcement that allowed Tarrant to amass an arsenal of military-style semi-automatic weapons – had already been addressed by her government.

"The commission made no findings that these issues would have stopped the attack, but these were both failings nonetheless and for that I apologise," she said.

Tarrant, 30, became the first person in New Zealand to be jailed for life without the prospect of parole in August after pleading guilty to terrorism, 51 counts of murder and 40 of attempted murder.

The commission into New Zealand's worst modern-day massacre was originally due to report in December last year but was delayed first by the sheer volume of responses and then by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Headed by Supreme Court judge William Young and former diplomat Jacqui Caine, it interviewed more than 400 people and received 1,100 submissions. – AFP, December 8, 2020
 

Related News

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysian doctor couple saves passenger from allergic shock mid-flight

Malaysia / 6mth

Anwar, Modi condemn all forms of terrorism, call for zero tolerance

Malaysia / 11mth

PDRM Counter Terrorism collected early intelligence on Al-Qaeda 22 months before 9/11 attacks

Malaysia / 2y

Restaurant worker charged with being IS member

Malaysia / 2y

6 men, 2 women arrested over IS-linked threats against king, PM

Malaysia / 2y

No more structured terror groups in Malaysia, say security experts

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month