World

UK starts mass Covid-19 vaccination programme

Care home workers, frontliners and over-80s first in line for jab

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 08 Dec 2020 3:00PM

UK starts mass Covid-19 vaccination programme
The UK's biggest vaccination programme is expected to mitigate the worsening Covid-19 outbreak in the country. – Pixabay pic, December 8, 2020

LONDON – Britain yesterday hailed a turning point in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic as it begins the biggest vaccination programme in the country's history with a new Covid-19 jab.

The first patients in line on what has been dubbed "V-Day" – the over-80s, care home workers and at-risk frontline health and social care staff – will receive their initial doses from early morning. They will then require a second jab in 21 days' time.

Last week, Britain became the first country to approve the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, raising hopes of a breakthrough in the pandemic, which has killed more than 1.5 million worldwide. Britain has been one of the worst-affected countries in the world, with more than 61,000 deaths in the outbreak from 1.6 million cases.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who spent days in intensive care with Covid-19 earlier this year, called it a "huge step forward in the UK's fight against coronavirus", while UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who has offered to have the jab on live television to allay public fears, said the roll-out was a "key moment" that would protect the most vulnerable. Head of the state-run National Health Service in England, Simon Stevens, said it was a "decisive turning point" against the "greatest health challenge" since the NHS was founded in 1948.

Regulatory approval for the vaccine was given last Wednesday, sparking a race against time to prepare scores of vaccination centres across the country.

The UK has ordered 40 million doses of the jab – enough to vaccinate 20 million people – with 800,000 in the first batch. Up to four million doses are expected by the end of December.

The mass vaccination drive is a coordinated response by all four nations of the UK – England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – which normally set their own health policies. The public has been largely favourable to the rapid approval of the vaccine, but ministers and health professionals are aware they still need to combat mistrust.

The independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency maintains that no corners were cut and its assessment and approval procedures met stringent international norms. NHS England said thousands had already been given the jab during trials with no serious side effects.

The government said it will hand out vaccine cards to remind people to get the booster after three weeks, but insisted it was not introducing immunity certificates. – AFP, December 8, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

World / 10mth

Prized pumpkin which drinks 1,000 pints of water a day becomes record breaker

Malaysia / 1y

Sabah woman unvaccinated during Covid-19 sues authorities for loss of income, emotional distress

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates