World

US judge orders partial disclosure of Khashoggi murder files

2018 murder sparked international outcry, tarnished reputation of oil-rich Saudi Arabia

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Dec 2020 12:30PM

US judge orders partial disclosure of Khashoggi murder files
Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi was suffocated and dismembered inside the kingdom's Istanbul consulate after going inside to get documents for his marriage to his Turkish fiancee. – The Washington Post pic, December 9, 2020

NEW YORK – A judge here yesterday ordered US intelligence agencies to acknowledge they possess a tape recording of the 2018 murder of Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi, in a ruling hailed by rights activists. 

The judge also instructed the Central Intelligence Agency and Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) to explain why they are withholding the tape and a CIA report on the gruesome killing.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist, was suffocated and dismembered inside the kingdom's Istanbul consulate after going inside to get documents for his marriage to his Turkish fiancee.

The October 2, 2018 murder sparked an international outcry and tarnished the reputation of oil-rich Saudi Arabia and its powerful crown prince, Mohammed Salman.

The CIA concluded that the young royal had been responsible for the killing, straining relations between the US – where Khashoggi lived – and Riyadh.

President Donald Trump later said he protected Prince Salman from Congress, boasting "I saved his ass", according to a book by veteran journalist Bob Woodward.

The Open Society Justice Initiative, founded by billionaire George Soros, filed a suit under the Freedom of Information act seeking access to intelligence agency records related to the assassination.

The CIA and ODNI rejected their request and failed to even confirm the existence of the documents, citing national security reasons.

But federal Judge Paul Engelmayer ordered the US government yesterday to produce within two weeks a "Vaughn index" describing the documents it is withholding and providing legal justification for their non-disclosure.

In his ruling, Engelmayer cited Trump's comments in late 2018 when the president said, "We have the tape".

The ruling does not order the disclosure of the documents but the Open Society Justice Initiative described the order as a "crucial victory in addressing the Trump administration's shameful cover-up" of the murder.

"The court's judgement is a vital step towards ending impunity for the murder," said Amrit Singh, the foundation's lead lawyer in the case.

Riyadh initially denied that the gruesome murder happened before changing its version of events several times. It claims the killing was carried out by rogue agents acting alone. 

In September, a Saudi court overturned five death sentences and handed eight defendants jail terms between seven and 20 years. – AFP, December 9, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 1mth

Modernity beyond the West? What Saudi Arabia is really testing

World / 1mth

Saudi Aramco helicopter crash kills 14 nationals (video)

Malaysia / 6mth

'I personally heard King Abdullah promise donations to Najib' - Jamil Khir

Malaysia / 7mth

Nadia Kesuma was found to have left Saudi Arabia

Malaysia / 9mth

King departs for state visit to Saudi Arabia

Malaysia / 2y

Silat body defends performance of Malay martial art at mosque in Medina amid criticisms

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation