World

Residents of Haitian capital stone, burn alive alleged gang members

This comes as UN warns insecurity in Port-au-Prince has reached warlike levels

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 25 Apr 2023 10:00AM

Residents of Haitian capital stone, burn alive alleged gang members
Haiti is facing massive gang-related violence, as the United Nations warns of a major humanitarian emergency in the country. – AFP pic, April 25, 2023

UNITED NATIONS – More than a dozen suspected gang members were stoned and burned alive today by residents in Port-au-Prince, police and witnesses said, as the United Nations warned that insecurity in the Haitian capital has reached levels similar to countries at war.

“During a search of a minibus in which there were armed individuals, police confiscated weapons and other equipment. In addition, more than a dozen individuals traveling in this vehicle were unfortunately lynched by members of the population,” police said in a statement. 

Police did not specify the exact number of victims, nor expand upon the circumstances in which they lost custody of the suspects, who were murdered by residents of the district called Canape-Vert. 

The violence had started before dawn, when gang members burst into several residential areas of the capital, looting homes and attacking residents, according to witnesses. 

“It was the sound of projectiles that woke us up this morning. It was 3am, the gangs invaded us. There were shots, shots,” said a resident of the neighbouring district of Turgeau.

“If the gangs come to invade us, we will defend ourselves, we too have our own weapons, we have our machetes, we will take their weapons, we will not flee,” said another resident. 

“Mothers who want to protect their children can send them elsewhere,” he added. 

In fact, dozens of families left the neighbourhoods caught in the spiral of yesterday’s violence, journalists confirmed. 

Men, women, and children fled the scene on foot, carrying a few personal belongings in bags or bundles. 

At least three other suspected gang members were killed and then burned midday, according to photos and videos that were shared online.

‘Major humanitarian emergency’

The latest grisly killings came as the UN released a report highlighting the surge in murders and kidnappings in the country.

Armed gangs “continued to compete to expand their territorial control throughout the Port-au-Prince metropolitan area, spreading to previously unaffected neighbourhoods,” said the report, from Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

“With the high number of fatalities and increasing areas under the control of armed gangs, insecurity in the capital has reached levels comparable to countries in armed conflict,” it added.

The number of reported homicides in Haiti rose in recent months by 21%, from 673 in the last quarter of 2022 to 815 between January 1 and March 31 this year.

The number of reported kidnappings soared by 63%, from 391 to 637.

“The people of Haiti continue to suffer one of the worst human rights crises in decades and a major humanitarian emergency,” the report said.

Clashes among gangs and with police have “become more violent and more frequent,” claiming many civilian lives, it added.

The human rights situation of people living in gang-controlled areas “remains appallingly poor” and conditions in areas newly targeted by gangs have “worsened significantly,” according to the report.

The document highlighted the dire situation for residents of Cite Soleil, along the capital’s waterfront, where snipers have shot passersby on the street from rooftops.

“The inhabitants feel besieged. They can no longer leave their homes for fear of armed violence and the terror imposed by the gangs,” the UN humanitarian coordinator for Haiti said in a separate statement on Sunday.

Between April 14 and 19, clashes between rival gangs left nearly 70 people dead, including 18 women and at least two children, the statement added.

“I reiterate the urgent need for the deployment of an international specialised armed force,” Guterres said in yesterday’s report.

Guterres in October relayed a call for help from Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry, asking the Security Council to send assistance to help police restore order.

While some countries have indicated a willingness to participate, none have come forward to take the lead. – AFP, April 25, 2023

Related News

World / 3y

US arrests four more in plot to kill Haiti president

World / 3y

IMF approves US$105 mil emergency aid to Haiti

World / 3y

Cholera cases on the rise in Haiti

World / 3y

Thousands march in Haiti to protest calls for intervention

World / 3y

UN chief pushes for international troop deployment to crisis-hit Haiti

World / 3y

UN warns cholera cases in Haiti could skyrocket

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus