World

UN chief pushes for international troop deployment to crisis-hit Haiti

Antonio Guterres urges member states to ‘tackle dramatic deterioration in security’

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 10 Oct 2022 10:00AM

UN chief pushes for international troop deployment to crisis-hit Haiti
Antonio Guterres has underlined a need to restore security to ensure access to supplies and services, to safeguard transport infrastructure and oil terminals and to tackle rampant gang violence. – AFP pic, October 10, 2022

UNITED NATIONS – United Nations chief Antonio Guterres has called for the immediate deployment of a special armed force to Haiti to staunch spiralling insecurity, as the already crisis-hit country faces the threat of a cholera epidemic.

In a letter addressed to the UN Security Council on Saturday, Guterres urged member states to deploy a “rapid action force” to the Caribbean nation to tackle “a dramatic deterioration in security”.

The letter came a day after Haiti said it had formally sought international assistance with a worsening security situation that the national police were unable to overcome.

Haiti, the poorest country in the Americas, is facing an acute political, economic, security, and health crisis, which has paralysed the country and sparked a breakdown of law and order. 

Protests and looting have rocked the already unstable country since September 11, when the government announced a fuel price hike.

Since mid-September, the country’s largest fuel import terminal, in Varreux, has been controlled by powerful armed gangs.

In his letter, Guterres underlined a need to restore security to ensure access to supplies and services, to safeguard transport infrastructure and oil terminals and to tackle rampant gang violence. 

“Addressing these objectives is imperative for the country to halt its spiralling instability,” he said.

He called for the establishment of a unit made up of special armed forces personnel from member states, with the efforts led by one member state.

Guterres reiterated the call in a public statement yesterday, in which he said he “remains gravely concerned about the situation in Haiti”, where already dire humanitarian conditions risk being exacerbated by a cholera outbreak. 

The UN on Thursday warned of a possible explosion of cholera cases in the country after Haiti announced its first cases of cholera in three years last week, with at least seven deaths.

As of Friday, the UN said at least twelve cholera cases had been confirmed and another 152 suspected cases reported, though Ulrika Richardson, UN resident and humanitarian coordinator for Haiti, said the real numbers could be much higher.

Tests were underway abroad to determine whether it was the same strain of cholera as the one that killed more than 10,000 people from 2010 to 2019.

Guterres, in his statement yesterday, said the blockage of the Varreux terminal hindered efforts to tackle the outbreak, including by hampering the delivery of “critical services required to prevent the rapid spread of the disease to a stand-still, including the distribution of potable water”.

“The most vulnerable sectors of the Haitian population are those hit the hardest,” he warned. – AFP, October 10, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

UN sec-gen rests hope on Malaysia for solution to Myanmar crisis

World / 3y

Social media provides ‘loudspeaker’ for global hate: UN chief

World / 3y

UN chief urges ‘quantum leap in climate action’ worldwide

World / 3y

Residents of Haitian capital stone, burn alive alleged gang members

World / 3y

Sudan deaths mount as army chief rules out talks

World / 3y

UN chief urges elimination of racial discrimination

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline