World

NZ marks ‘devastating’ volcano eruption anniversary

PM Jacinda Ardern pays emotional tribute to the 22 people killed in incident

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Dec 2020 7:30PM

NZ marks ‘devastating’ volcano eruption anniversary
Today marks the first anniversary of the White Island volcano eruption in New Zealand, which killed 22 people and injured dozens more. – Facebook pic, December 9, 2020

WELLINGTON – New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern paid emotional tribute to victims of the White Island volcano eruption today, on the first anniversary of the disaster that claimed 22 lives.

A minute's silence was observed at 2.11pm local time, marking the exact moment when the tragedy happened.

Almost 50 people, mostly Australian tourists, were on the island, also known as Whakaari, in December last year when a column of burning ash and steam blasted from a volcanic vent.

The eruption killed 22 and left dozens more with horrific injuries, prompting a massive medical operation that saw victims treated in burn units across New Zealand and Australia.

Ardern said the disaster was "devastating" for all New Zealanders, as well as families of victims in Australia, Britain, Germany, the United States, China and Malaysia.

The New Zealand leader attended a memorial ceremony at the meeting house of the local Maori tribe, Ngati Awa.

Barefoot and wearing a black dress, Ardern's voice shook as she said her thoughts were with families around the world remembering loved ones who were lost in New Zealand.

"I say to those who have lost and grieve, you are forever linked to this place and our nation," she told the service.

"We will continue to hold you close."

Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne acknowledged the 17 of her compatriots who died and 11 who suffered serious injuries.

She also expressed pride at the way Australians and New Zealanders worked together to help those affected by the tragedy.

"It is a day our two countries will never forget," Payne said in a statement.

New Zealand's workplace safety watchdog announced last week it was pressing criminal charges against 10 organisations and three individuals responsible for tourists being on the volcano when it erupted.

They include government agencies and tour groups, including a charter company operated by Ngati Awa that had ferried most of the visitors to the island on the day of the disaster.

The prosecution does not carry the threat of jail time, with hefty fines being the maximum penalty for anyone found guilty of breaching their duty of care. – AFP, December 9, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysian doctor couple saves passenger from allergic shock mid-flight

Culture & Lifestyle / 2y

Some of New Zealand’s finest at “Made with Care” campaign

Malaysia / 2y

New Zealand governor-general arrives in Malaysia for four-day state visit

World / 3y

No Malaysians reportedly involved in Auckland shooting: Wisma Putra

World / 3y

New Zealand tour firm pleads guilty to volcanic eruption charges

Places / 3y

Indonesia volcano draws thousands for ritual sacrifice

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month