World

UK to end Sudan evacuation flights today

Country so far airlifted over 1,500 citizens, relatives out of conflict-hit Khartoum this week

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 29 Apr 2023 9:30AM

UK to end Sudan evacuation flights today
Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden says officials have seen ‘a significant decline’ in the number of British nationals coming forward for evacuation over the last 24 hours. – Screen grab, April 29, 2023

LONDON – The United Kingdom said yesterday it will end evacuation flights from Sudan for its citizens and their relatives today, after airlifting over 1,500 people out of the conflict-hit country so far this week.

The flights from the Wadi Saeedna airfield near the Sudanese capital Khartoum, which Britain began on Tuesday, will cease at 1700 GMT today, Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden told UK media.

In a separate statement, the Foreign Office said British nationals and their eligible immediate family wanting to leave should arrive at the airfield by 1000 GMT today for processing.

Dowden said officials had seen “a significant decline” in the number of British nationals coming forward for evacuation over the last 24 hours.

“People should expect within the next 24 hours, so by six o’clock UK time tomorrow, for us to cease those flights,” he added.

Dowden denied London was abandoning any Britons or their dependents in Sudan, insisting “every single British national that has come forward and their eligible dependents have been put safely onto a plane”. 

He noted that the UK will maintain consular support in the East African country at exit routes to the north to south as well as at the eastern city of Port Sudan.

The Foreign Office said 1,573 people – the vast majority British nationals and their eligible dependents – had been evacuated so far since evacuation flights started late Tuesday.

The airlifts began after Sudan’s warring parties agreed to an initial three-day US-brokered ceasefire, which has since been formally extended, though fierce fighting has resumed.

The Foreign Office vowed to “continue to press all diplomatic levers to secure a long-term ceasefire and end to the bloodshed in Sudan”. 

“Ultimately a stable transition to civilian rule is the best way to protect the security and prosperity of the Sudanese people,” it added. – AFP, April 29, 2023

Related News

World / 2mth

Sudan’s war may be far from over — and a new report suggests why

World / 2mth

HRW: Private military contractors deployed to Sudan to support RSF

Malaysia / 8mth

Man arrested for molesting teenage girl at flood evacuation centre

Malaysia / 1y

Over 1,300 evacuated in Sabah as floods worsen

Malaysia / 1y

Floods displace 10,000 in Pitas, evacuation centres activated

Malaysia / 2y

Malaysians told to stay away from protest areas in UK

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations