World

Asean Summit: Jokowi says limited progress on Myanmar peace plan

Despite issue dominating talks, Indonesian president admits to no significant development on solution

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 11 May 2023 11:47AM

Asean Summit: Jokowi says limited progress on Myanmar peace plan
Violence in junta-ruled Myanmar has killed thousands by as it cracks down on dissent and armed groups opposed to its rule. – AFP pic, May 11, 2023

LABUAN BAJO – Southeast Asian nations have made “no significant progress” on implementing a peace plan to end the bloodshed in Myanmar, Indonesian President Joko Widodo said today, on the final day of a summit. 

Escalating violence in junta-ruled Myanmar has dominated the three-day meeting of the Asean regional bloc on the Indonesian island of Flores. 

Asean, which has spearheaded diplomatic efforts to resolve the crisis, is under pressure to enact a five-point plan agreed upon with Myanmar two years ago after a military coup ousted Aung San Suu Kyi’s government. 

Thousands of people have been killed in the junta’s bloody crackdown on dissent and armed groups opposed to its rule.  

As leaders began the final day of talks in the fishing town of Labuan Bajo, Joko Widodo, who is popularly known as Jokowi, admitted they had made “no significant progress” on implementing the peace plan. 

“We need the unity of Asean to chart our way forward,” Widodo said through a translator. 

The junta has spurned international criticism and refused to engage with its opponents, which include ousted lawmakers, anti-coup “People’s Defence Forces” and armed ethnic minority groups. 

Last month, an air strike on a village in a rebel stronghold that reportedly killed about 170 people sparked global condemnation and worsened the junta’s isolation. 

Jakarta’s chairmanship of the bloc this year had raised hopes Asean could push for a peaceful solution, using its economic weight as well as its diplomatic experience. 

But divisions within Asean have hampered those efforts. Diplomatic sources told AFP yesterday that some countries at the summit had suggested inviting back the junta to high-level meetings. 

Myanmar still belongs to the 10-member Asean bloc but has been barred from its summits due to the junta’s failure to implement the peace plan. 

Asean is seen by critics as a toothless talking shop, but its charter principles of consensus and non-interference have hamstrung its ability to stop the violence in Myanmar.  

The latest draft of the end-of-summit statement seen by AFP has left the paragraph on Myanmar open, reflecting diplomatic difficulties over the issue. 

A review of the charter was “long overdue”, said Lina Alexandra of the  Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Jakarta. 

“When you see your next-door neighbour’s house is burning, what will you do? Can you just stay silent, it’s not my problem?” she said. – AFP, May 11, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Malaysia / 9mth

Budget 2026 debate concludes amid heated exchanges, focus on Malaysia's ASEAN leadership

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan