World

Madoff ponzi scheme victims to get US$488 mil more

Victim fund will disburse payments to 30,000 people cheated out of their investments

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Dec 2020 11:30AM

Madoff ponzi scheme victims to get US$488 mil more
Bernie Madoff was sentenced to 150 years in prison in 2009 for running the pyramid-style scheme. – Wikipedia pic, December 11, 2020

NEW YORK – Victims of Bernie Madoff, the mastermind behind the worst financial scam in history, will receive US$488 million (RM1.9 billion) in additional payments through a victim fund, the US Justice Department said yesterday.

The Madoff Victim Fund will disburse payments to more than 30,000 people around the world who were cheated out of their investments by the crooked financier between the 1970s and 2000s, the Department of Justice said in a statement.

The operation marks the sixth time such payments have been made, bringing the total refunds to nearly US$3.2 billion, according to the department. 

"That is an extraordinary level of recovery for a Ponzi scheme – but our work is not yet finished, and the office's tireless commitment to compensating the victims who suffered as a result of Madoff's heinous crimes continues," acting Manhattan US Attorney-General Audrey Strauss said in the Justice Department's statement yesterday.

The repayment funds are obliged to return US$4.05 billion to victims of Madoff, whose financial scams were exposed in late 2008.

The 82-year-old was sentenced to 150 years in prison in 2009 for running the pyramid-style scheme, which was estimated to be worth between US$25 billion and US$63 billion, depending on whether interest is included in the calculation.

New Yorker Madoff never invested a single cent of the money the scheme's clients trusted him with, instead using money from new investors to pay older ones. 

He is currently serving his sentence in a federal medical prison in North Carolina. He requested to be released earlier this year but in June his petition was denied by the same judge who sentenced him more than a decade ago. 

These victim restitution funds are separate from the payments made by Irving Picard, the lawyer who recovered and returned billions of dollars in victim investments. – AFP, December 11, 2020

Related News

Business / 4y

Cannabis investment platform hit with Spain suit

World / 5y

Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff dies at 82 in prison

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran