World

Chinese dissidents in New York open world’s only Tiananmen museum

Tiny office space displays memorabilia to commemorate those taking part in 1989 protest

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 03 Jun 2023 10:00AM

Chinese dissidents in New York open world’s only Tiananmen museum
In New York, Chinese activist Wang Dan officially launches the only museum in the world dedicated to the memory of the Tiananmen Square protests. – AFP pic, June 3, 2023

NEW YORK – Chinese dissidents who took part in the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests unveiled a museum in New York yesterday dedicated to remembering the “democratic dreams of the Chinese people,” two days ahead of the 34th anniversary of the uprising’s “brutal suppression.”  

“The events of 1989 had an impact on China but also on the entire world,” said Wang Dan, founder of the tiny museum and a former student leader on Tiananmen Square.  

“Today, as we begin to wake up to the threat to human civilisation posed by the Xi Jinping regime, we should remember back to 1989,” he said, referring to China’s current leader, who cemented his grip on the country late last year by assuming a historic third consecutive term.  

In a tiny office space in an unattractive building in midtown Manhattan, Wang had put on a display of photos, videos, press clippings, posters, letters and banners about the democratic uprising that Beijing bloodily crushed, killing at least 1,000 demonstrators.  

“We should commemorate those who sacrificed their lives and remember the democratic dreams of the Chinese people at that time,” said Wang, who served years in prison in China before being exiled in 1998 to the United States, where he later earned a doctorate in history at Harvard.  

“Even in the United States, we still can feel the pressure and threats from the Chinese government,” he told AFP.  

“The 1989 events connect not only with the past but also with today and the future,” Wang said, demanding that the world should “also remember the true face of the Chinese Communist Party.”  

Several leading Chinese critics and American politicians spoke at the inauguration of the museum – the only permanent exhibition in the world on Tiananmen after the closure in 2021 of a museum in Hong Kong.  

The artistic flourishing that each year accompanied the Tiananmen commemoration in Hong Kong – which Britain formally ceded in 1997 – has almost disappeared under the yoke of pro-Beijing authorities.   

For more than 30 years, tens of thousands of people gathered every June 4 in Hong Kong’s Victoria Park for a candlelight vigil.   

But since China imposed a national security law in 2020, local authorities have shut down such gatherings, while criminalising most public displays of dissent.  

In New York, a march was due to take place yesterday from the Tiananmen museum to the Chinese consulate-general. – AFP, June 3, 2023

Related News

World / 3y

Library books should not have ‘unhealthy ideas’: Hong Kong leader

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured