World

International court to sentence killer of Lebanon’s Hariri

Salim Ayyash found guilty over suicide bombing that killed politician

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Dec 2020 2:30PM

International court to sentence killer of Lebanon’s Hariri

LEIDSCHENDAM – A United Nation-backed tribunal today will sentence a Hezbollah member convicted of the 2005 assassination of former Lebanese premier Rafic Hariri, with prosecutors demanding a life term.

Salim Ayyash, 57, was found guilty in absentia of murder on August 18 by the Netherlands-based Special Tribunal for Lebanon over the suicide bombing that killed the Sunni billionaire politician and 21 other people. 

Ayyash remains on the run, with Hassan Nasrallah, the head of the Shiite Hezbollah movement, refusing to hand him over, alongside three other defendants who were eventually acquitted.

Prosecutors in a hearing in November said a life term was the “only just and proportionate sentence” for Ayyash, given that it was the “most serious terrorist attack that has occurred on Lebanese soil”.

They have also demanded the seizure of Ayyash’s assets.

Hariri served as Lebanon’s prime minister until he resigned in October 2004.

He was killed in February 2005 when a suicide bomber detonated a van filled with explosives as his armoured convoy drove past. As well as those killed, another 226 were wounded in the blast.

In their long-awaited ruling in August, judges said there was sufficient evidence to show that Ayyash was at the centre of a network of mobile phone users who scoped out Hariri’s movements for months before his assassination.

‘Culture of impunity’

But there was not enough evidence to convict Ayyash’s co-defendants – Assad Sabra, Hussein Oneissi and Hassan Habib Merhi, they said.

The judges added that there was no proof to tie Hezbollah’s leadership or its allies in Damascus to the attack.

Legal experts said the sentencing was still important, even without Ayyash in the dock.

“In absentia trials are of course not the ideal way of dispensing international justice,” Asser Institute in The Hague senior researcher Christophe Paulussen said.

International tribunals were like “a giant without arms and legs” since they relied on states to arrest suspects and could not enforce orders themselves.

“But even with this handicap, the STL has now at least established a very authoritative judicial record about what happened 15 years ago, thus assisting the Lebanese society in moving away from a culture of impunity towards one of accountability,” said Paulussen.

The UN Security Council agreed in 2007 to establish the court, billed as the world’s first international tribunal set up to probe terrorist crimes.

It opened its doors in 2009, although the Hariri trial itself did not formally start until 2014.

The court has cost at least US$600 million (RM2.4 billion) to operate and has so far heard only four cases, two of them for contempt of court about news reports with information about confidential witnesses.

Ayyash faces a separate case at the tribunal over three other deadly attacks on Lebanese politicians in 2004 and 2005. – AFP, December 11, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 4mth

Decision on suit against Rosmah over 40 missing jewellery items set for June 10

Opinion / 4mth

Trump attempting to make a run for it?

Malaysia / 1y

Mohd Nizam appointed new chief of defence

Malaysia / 1y

Dad feeds teary-eyed soldier before she leaves for UN peacekeeping mission

World / 1y

Israel says it has killed Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah

Malaysia / 2y

Agong disappointed that US vetoed UNSC resolution urging Gaza ceasefire

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren