World

Aid agencies say four staff killed in Ethiopia fighting

Tigray conflict continues despite claims of a government victory last month, says UN

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Dec 2020 9:30PM

Aid agencies say four staff killed in Ethiopia fighting
Fighting between the Tigray People's Liberation Front and the Ethiopian government continues. – AFP pic, December 11, 2020

ADDIS ABABA – Two international aid agencies said today that four staff members were killed during last month's fighting in Ethiopia’s troubled northern Tigray region.

The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) reported the deaths of three security guards, while the International Rescue Committee (IRC) said one of its staff members had been killed.

An estimated 600,000 people in Tigray were dependent on food aid before the fighting began, including 96,000 refugees from neighbouring Eritrea.

When Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed ordered troops into Tigray on November 4, following alleged attacks by the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) forces, aid workers were left stranded and vulnerable.

A communications blackout imposed by the government combined with tight restrictions on access to Tigray has made it very difficult for aid agencies to confirm the whereabouts and safety of their staff in the area.

DRC said it was “deeply saddened to confirm the death of three colleagues,” adding that its “workers are at the forefront of the humanitarian imperative to provide assistance to those in need.

“Sadly, due to the lack of communications and ongoing insecurity in the region, it has not yet been possible to reach their families,” a statement said.

In another statement, IRC said it “regrets to confirm the killing of a staff member in Hitsats Refugee Camp in Shire.

“Our in-country staff are the very heart of our work and are key in our ability to provide support and assistance to our clients,” it said.

“Communication with the area is extremely difficult and we are still working to gather and confirm the details surrounding the events.”

Despite Abiy's declaration of victory on November 28, the UN and aid agencies have said fighting continues. – AFP, December 11, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3mth

Two UN bodies distance themselves from Bestinet, raising fresh questions over FWCMS

World / 4mth

UN Chief calls on US, Iran to continue talks

Opinion / 4mth

In a fractured world, Malaysia must remember who we are

Malaysia / 4mth

Domestic medicine supply remains stable and under control – MOH

Opinion / 4mth

Middle East conflict: Most powerful weapon is the disruption of economic stability

Malaysia / 5mth

PPC closely monitoring global shipping conditions amidst escalating tensions in Middle East

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation