World

US to pay US$619 mil to rejoin Unesco

132 nations in favour of readmission, 10 against, including Russia, China, North Korea

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 02 Jul 2023 2:35PM

US to pay US$619 mil to rejoin Unesco
Apart from paying US$619 million in accrued dues to return to Unesco, the United States has agreed to fund 22% of Unesco’s budget and contribute to programmes that increase access to education in Africa, among others. – Unesco pic, July 2, 2023

WASHINGTON – The United States will pay US$619 million (RM2.9 billion) in accrued dues to return to the United Nations Economic, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) after the administration of former president Donald Trump pulled away in 2017.

The US State Department, under the administration of President Joe Biden, sent a letter to the director-general of Unesco, Audrey Azoulay, last month announcing the nation’s intent to rejoin the international cultural agency, reported United Press International.

Unesco met Thursday to examine the United States’ proposal and hold a vote, with 132 votes in favour of readmitting the US and 10 votes against, the agency said in a news release.

The nations that voted against readmitting the US included Palestine, according to The Art Newspaper. The path that led the US and its ally Israel to withdraw from Unesco began in 2011, when Palestine was admitted into the organisation.

At the time, former president Barack Obama withdrew funding from the agency, which was followed by Trump leaving it altogether.

Other nations that voted against readmitting the US included Russia and its allies, Belarus, Iran, and Nicaragua. China and North Korea also voted against readmitting the US.

Azoulay has led mediations to ease political tensions on topics such as the Middle East and has reformed the organisation to make it more efficient, Unesco said in its statement.

“With this return, Unesco will be in an even stronger position to carry out its mandate,” Azoulay said.

“It’s a great day for Unesco and for multilateralism. Building upon the momentum achieved in recent years, our organisation is once again moving towards universalism with this return of the United States.”

Apart from paying its back dues, the US has also agreed to fund 22% of Unesco’s budget and contribute to programmes that increase access to education in Africa, among others.

“I am encouraged and grateful that Unesco members have accepted the US’ proposal,” US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a statement, adding that the vote “will allow us to continue steps towards rejoining the organisation”. – Bernama, July 2, 2023

Related News

Culture / 4w

Penang Museum officially ‘reopened’ after delicate touch-ups

Malaysia / 3mth

Penang urged to offer practical, cheaper solutions to manage World Heritage Site

Culture / 3mth

Penang gazetting Hungry Ghost Festival as a state heritage

Heritage / 4mth

Sarawak Delta elevated to UNESCO-status global geo-park site

Culture / 5mth

RM3.8 allocated for maintenance, conservation of heritage landmarks in George Town

Heritage / 6mth

Penang: 10 traditional dishes gazetted as heritage treasures

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations