World

Ukraine seeks Unesco status for Chernobyl

Officials hope recognition will boost site of 1986 nuke disaster as tourist attraction

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Dec 2020 10:30AM

Ukraine seeks Unesco status for Chernobyl
A cross seen among trees in a cemetery near Rozsokha village, located in the Chernobyl exclusion zone, in June. Ukrainian authorities say it may not be safe for humans to live in the zone for another 24,000 years. – AFP pic, December 13, 2020

CHERNOBYL – A soft snow fell as a clutch of visitors equipped with a Geiger counter wandered through the ghostly Ukrainian town of Pripyat, frozen in time since the world’s worst nuclear accident in 1986.

More than three decades after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster forced thousands to evacuate, there is an influx of visitors to the area that has spurred officials to seek official status from Unesco.

“The Chernobyl zone is already a world-famous landmark,” guide Maksym Polivko told AFP during a tour on a recent frosty day.

“But today, this area has no official status,” said the 38-year-old of the exclusion zone where flourishing wildlife is taking over deserted Soviet-era tower blocks, shops and official buildings.

That could be set to change under a government initiative to have the area included on the Unesco heritage list, alongside landmarks like India’s Taj Mahal and Stonehenge in England.

Officials hope recognition from the United Nations culture agency will boost the site as a tourist attraction, and in turn, bolster efforts to preserve ageing buildings nearby.

The explosion in the fourth reactor at the nuclear power plant in April 1986 left swathes of Ukraine and neighbouring Belarus badly contaminated, and led to the creation of the exclusion zone roughly the size of Luxembourg.

Ukrainian authorities said it may not be safe for humans to live in the zone for another 24,000 years. Meanwhile, it has become a haven for wildlife, with elk and deer roaming nearby forests.

Dozens of villages and towns populated by hundreds of thousands of people were abandoned after the disaster, and yet, more than 100 elderly people live in the area, despite the radiation threat.

In Pripyat, a ghost town kilometres away from the plant, rooms in eerie residential blocks are piled up with the belongings of former residents.

‘A place of memory’

Polivko said he hopes the upgraded status will encourage officials to act more “responsibly” to preserve the crumbling infrastructure surrounding the plant.

“All these objects here require some repair.”

It is a sentiment echoed by Culture Minister Oleksandr Tkachenko, who described the recent influx of tourists from home and abroad as evidence of Chernobyl’s importance “not only to Ukrainians, but of all mankind”.

A record 124,000 tourists visited last year, including 100,000 foreigners, following the release of the hugely popular Chernobyl television series.

Tkachenko said obtaining Unesco status will promote the exclusion zone as “a place of memory” that warns against a repeat nuclear disaster.

“The area may, and should, be open to visitors, but it should be more than just an adventure destination for explorers.”

The government is set to propose specific objects in the zone as a heritage site before March next year, but a final decision could come as late as 2023.

After the explosion in 1986, the three other reactors at the plant continued to generate electricity until the station finally closed in 2000. Ukraine will mark the 20th anniversary of the closure on Tuesday.

Tkachenko said the effort to secure Unesco status is a new priority after work on a giant protective dome over the fourth reactor was completed in 2016.

With the site now safe for 100 years, he expressed hope that world heritage status will boost visitor numbers to one million a year. – AFP, December 13, 2020

Related News

Culture / 4w

Penang Museum officially ‘reopened’ after delicate touch-ups

Malaysia / 3mth

Penang urged to offer practical, cheaper solutions to manage World Heritage Site

Culture / 3mth

Penang gazetting Hungry Ghost Festival as a state heritage

Heritage / 4mth

Sarawak Delta elevated to UNESCO-status global geo-park site

Culture / 5mth

RM3.8 allocated for maintenance, conservation of heritage landmarks in George Town

Heritage / 6mth

Penang: 10 traditional dishes gazetted as heritage treasures

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren