World

Venezuelan opposition wraps up ‘popular consultation’

Symbolic poll asks public if they reject President Nicolas Maduro’s Dec 6 election victory

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Dec 2020 6:30PM

Venezuelan opposition wraps up ‘popular consultation’
Organisers on Twitter say 6.4 million people participated in the opposition consultation, which began on Monday. – AFP pic, December 13, 2020

CARACAS – Venezuela’s opposition wrapped up a “popular consultation” yesterday, in a symbolic poll hailed as “historic” by organisers but which did not prompt the massive mobilisation seen during protests last year.

The consultation followed legislative elections in Venezuela on December 6 – boycotted by the opposition – which gave President Nicolas Maduro a total grip on power.

According to organisers on Twitter, 6.4 million people participated in the opposition consultation, which began on Monday.

They included 3.2 million in person in Venezuela, 844,728 abroad, and another 2.4 million online. 

They said 87.44% of the votes had been counted. 

The “participation in the consultation far exceeded the fraud” mounted by the government on December 6, said opposition leader Juan Guaido.

He also denounced the government’s “censorship” and the lack of support from the country’s television media.

But despite the figures offered by the opposition, this week’s poll did not see the massive mobilisation seen during 2019 protests.

Guaido declared himself acting president in January that year, accusing Maduro of stealing the 2018 election.

The United States and around 50 other countries have recognized Guaido as president.

The opposition leader, who remains National Assembly speaker until January 5, led the boycott of the December 6 election. Several international powers also slammed the vote as a farce.

This week’s consultation asked Venezuelans if they supported “all mechanisms of national and international pressure” in favour of “free presidential and legislative elections”.

It also asked if they rejected the December 6 elections. 

The consultation began online on Monday and was done in-person yesterday at nearly 3,000 sites across the country. 

In Caracas, journalists reported low turnout.

The opposition alleged “intimidation” and threats by pro-Maduro groups around certain sites planned for the consultation.

In the affluent district of Chacao, traditionally an opposition stronghold, Jose Nelson Castellanos said he was voting to express his rejection of Maduro, in power since 2013 following the death of his mentor, socialist president Hugo Chavez.

“If we are not happy with the situation in the country, we have to do something,” said the 56-year-old.

“I know that a lot of people ... are already skeptical about the results, but something must be done.”

Maduro has minimised the importance of the consultation and described Guaido as a US “puppet”.

Victory by Maduro’s ruling Socialist Party in the December 6 legislative elections gave him control of an expanded 227-seat National Assembly, the only branch of government previously not in his hands. – AFP, December 13, 2020

Related News

World / 7mth

Maduro 'in good health' in US prison - Son

Opinion / 7mth

Trump's act of war

World / 2y

Venezuela and Guyana set example by negotiating to avert conflict

Malaysia / 2y

Penang-born fugitive Fat Leonard sent back to the US

World / 3y

Venezuela slams US for backing sale of state-owned oil company

World / 3y

Venezuela leader says willing to work at normalising US ties

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates