Malaysia

Jho Low may be among 250 individuals to receive Trump's pardon in conjunction with US Independence Day

The Atlantic reported that the White House is considering a proposal to announce 250 pardons in conjunction with the 250th anniversary of US independence through an initiative known as '250 pardons for 250 years'.

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 02 Jul 2026 4:01PM

Jho Low may be among 250 individuals to receive Trump's pardon in conjunction with US Independence Day
The report said Jho Low's representative did not respond to media requests for comment on the matter. - July 2, 2026

FUGITIVE businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low is reportedly among about 250 individuals who may be considered to receive a pardon by US President Donald Trump in conjunction with the country's 250th Independence Day celebrations on July 4.

According to a report by The Atlantic, Fugees singer Pras Michel is also on the list of individuals being considered.

Michel was previously convicted of conspiring with Jho Low and a Chinese government official to orchestrate a lobbying campaign to stop a US criminal investigation into the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal.

The report said Jho Low's representative did not respond to media requests for comment on the matter.

Citing a source familiar with the discussions, The Atlantic reported that the White House is considering a proposal to announce 250 pardons in conjunction with the 250th anniversary of US independence through an initiative known as '250 pardons for 250 years'.

However, according to the report, Trump's advisers are still divided on whether the mass pardon should continue.

An adviser reportedly said that despite studies showing that the move could give Trump a political advantage, no decision is expected to be made before the Independence Day celebrations.

Supporters of the proposal believe that the pardons would highlight the President's power and strengthen Trump's image as a forgiving leader.

Meanwhile, the report also stated that the proposed mass pardon has sparked various lobbying efforts, including parties from abroad who want access to the President.

Previously, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said the Malaysian government would not raise objections if Jho Low sought a pardon from Trump.

He reportedly said that although Putrajaya did not support the effort, the decision on whether to grant a pardon was the prerogative of the US government.

Anwar also stressed that Jho Low still had to face the Malaysian legal system.

Jho Low is accused of being the mastermind behind the embezzlement of at least US$4.5 billion (about RM17.7 billion) from 1MDB funds, along with two former Goldman Sachs officials.

On May 13, The Wall Street Journal reported that Jho Low's pardon application to Trump had still not been decided.

In 2024, Jho Low reached a settlement with the United States Department of Justice to return US$100 million that was claimed in a civil forfeiture suit.

The 1MDB scandal also led to the conviction and imprisonment of former Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib Razak, who is now also seeking a pardon in Malaysia. – July 2, 2026

Related News

World / 16h

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 2w

Najib must be held accountable for 1MDB's US$5.6 billion loss -  lawyer

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Malaysia / 4w

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Teenager shot in both legs while fetching water in Lawas

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Sabah youths urged to see agriculture as modern career and business opportunity - Masidi

Malaysia

BN, UMNO preparing to ‘back stab’ unity government - Puad Zarkashi

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia

I am touched by M. Kavita’s dedication – PM Anwar

Malaysia

Mother’s use of anxiety medication during pregnancy caused baby to test positive for drugs

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir