Malaysia

Penang police question 5 over Sanusi’s alleged lockdown breach

Kedah MB expected to give statement later today on purported test drive at Autocity Juru dealership

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Jun 2021 2:44PM

Penang police question 5 over Sanusi’s alleged lockdown breach
A photo allegedly of Kedah Menteri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor at a vehicle sale and exhibition centre at Autocity Juru last week. – Bernama Twitter pic, June 7, 2021

SEBERANG PRAI – Penang police have taken statements from five individuals as part of their investigation into allegations that Kedah Menteri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor took a vehicle for a test drive at Autocity Juru on Friday.

Seberang Prai Tengah police chief Shafee Abd Samad told Astro Awani that the probe is ongoing and investigation papers will be submitted to the public prosecutor’s office upon completion.

“We have taken statements from five people and will approach the Kedah MB for his statement.”

It was reported that police will quiz Sanusi later today.

The investigation is being carried out under Section 269 of the Penal Code, and Regulation 17(1) of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures Within Local Infectious Areas) Regulations 2021.

Social media was abuzz after photos and videos of a man, believed to be Sanusi, test-driving a vehicle amid the Covid-19 lockdown were widely shared.

The standard operating procedures state that vehicle sale and exhibition centres are not allowed to operate until June 14, when the lockdown is slated to end.

Sanusi’s political secretary, Afnan Hamimi Taib Azamuddin, in a Facebook post said his boss was not at the dealership specifically for a test drive, but was travelling to Kuala Lumpur on an urgent matter, and was accompanied by a driver and a police officer.

“From Alor Star, they stopped at Juru to buy some food as the rest stops along the highway were closed. Coincidentally, the eatery was near a Ford showroom. The showroom was closed.

“A salesman was positioning a Ford Ranger outside the showroom, so the MB just took a look. Not that he was interested in buying, but just having a look. If he had sneaked in to have a look, it would appear weird to onlookers. 

“Even though the showroom was closed, the salesman was polite and served whoever came along, while moving the car. He knows he cannot do business because of movement control order SOPs.”

Afnan Hamimi said after buying food, Sanusi was back on the road heading to the federal capital.

“That Ford Ranger remained in Juru, it didn’t follow him. There was no test drive.”

Sanusi has said he will leave it to police to investigate, and that he does not want to elaborate on the matter.

“Wait for the police investigation to conclude, no comments for now.

“I don’t know what’s the purpose of the individual who spread this. I was just looking at the car outside the showroom,” he told Getaran, The Vibes’ Bahasa Malaysia sister portal. – The Vibes, June 7, 2021

Related News

Tech / 16h

Penang in need of financial centre to boost electrical and electronics sectors - CM

Malaysia / 1d

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

Places / 2d

Penang set to be named first smart city in the country

Malaysia / 5d

Sumatra earthquake felt in Penang, no damage reported

Events / 5d

Penang records another major healthcare-related FDI

Opinion / 6d

The alchemy of staying

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia

Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses

Malaysia

Online scam content removed surges 15-fold to nearly 100,000 in Malaysia

Malaysia

Misunderstandings, financial factors among top causes of domestic violence - Minister

Malaysia

Immigration's 'Black Maria' driver charged with causing death of three family members

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir