THE number of online scam content removed in Malaysia has surged more than 15-fold since 2023, reaching 99,693 cases as of July 15 this year, highlighting the escalating threat posed by digital fraud.
Deputy Communications Minister Teo Nie Ching said the number had risen sharply from 6,297 pieces of scam content removed in 2023 to 63,652 in 2024 and 98,503 in 2025, before reaching 99,693 as of July 15 this year.
She described the increase as worrying, as online scams continue to exploit digital platforms to target members of the public.
The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has also introduced the Risk Mitigation Code, requiring platforms to take steps to identify parties placing advertisements on their services.
"Platform operators have been given a grace period until the end of this year to fulfil this responsibility," she said after launching SPX Express' electric vehicle (EV) delivery fleet here today.
On legislation to combat cybercrime, Teo said the Government already had several new laws in place, including the Communications and Multimedia Act (CMA), Online Safety Act and Cybercrime Act.
She said there was no need to rush into introducing further legislation before the effectiveness of the existing laws had been assessed.
"We already have many new laws, so there is no need to rush into introducing more laws. Let these laws come into force and we will assess their impact," she said.
Meanwhile, asked about new incentives under Budget 2027, Teo said the Communications Ministry would focus on the second phase of the JENDELA initiative to further improve internet connectivity.
"Internet coverage currently stands at 98 per cent. However, there is still less than two per cent without satisfactory coverage, and this is the ministry's focus," she said. - August 20, 2026