Malaysia

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue

“Decisions affecting the handling, movement and management of petroleum cargo cannot responsibly be left in indefinite uncertainty," he said.

Updated 35 minutes ago · Published on 19 Aug 2026 9:49AM

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue
The absence of a coordinated response could result in different authorities or parties adopting inconsistent positions. - August 19, 2026

MARITIME industry observer Datuk Seri Jeyenderan Ramasamy has urged the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to provide an update on a report lodged in June concerning the alleged commingling or blending of petroleum cargo.

The chief executive officer of Maritime Network Sdn Bhd said that about two months had elapsed since the report was lodged on June 5, but no formal written response had been received confirming its status or the authority responsible for the matter.

In a letter to MACC chief commissioner Datuk Seri Abdul Halim Aman yesterday (Aug 18), he said his company had cooperated fully with the relevant authorities, including providing documents and information, attending meetings and furnishing clarification when requested.

“Our sole objective has been to establish the official position and to obtain clear direction on how the affected operations may be managed lawfully and responsibly,” he said.

He said the continuing absence of an official response had created a serious operational situation, particularly as decisions involving the handling, movement and management of petroleum cargo could not responsibly be left in indefinite uncertainty.

“Decisions affecting the handling, movement and management of petroleum cargo cannot responsibly be left in indefinite uncertainty.

“Our operations require a clear regulatory direction, yet no authority has provided a definitive written position identifying what may proceed, what must be suspended, what additional controls are required, or which agency has responsibility for making those determinations,” he said.

Jeyenderan stressed that the issue was not merely a private commercial disagreement, as it could affect the integrity and traceability of petroleum cargo, customs and petroleum regulatory compliance, government revenue and accountability within the supply chain.

He also cautioned that the absence of a coordinated response could result in different authorities or parties adopting inconsistent positions.

“We cannot reasonably be expected to manage operations according to informal, incomplete or contradictory communications while an official report is said to remain under investigation,” he said.

He also sought clarification on whether any determination had been made that there was “no case”, whether the matter had been closed and, if so, the procedural basis for the decision.

He said the company was not seeking confidential investigative information, but basic procedural accountability and clear operational direction.

On Aug 14, the White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy identified Malaysia among more than 40 countries at risk of facilitating tariff evasion through China-linked transhipment networks.

In its report, The Great Transhipment Scam: Rise, Scope, and Costs, the US placed Malaysia in Tier 2 alongside Brazil, Indonesia, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam, citing its deep-water ports, manufacturing hubs and free trade zones as potential conduits for rerouting Chinese goods to evade US tariffs.

The report said Malaysia serves as both a manufacturing and logistics hub, highlighting the Penang-Kulim industrial corridor and Port Klang Free Zone. – August 19, 2026

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

RCI TH: MACC detains 7, including those with 'Datuk' and 'Datuk Seri' titles

Malaysia / 5d

MACC, Customs task force must become catalyst for smarter border and better container governance

Business / 6d

Port businesses badly hit by uncertainty over commingled oil tax – maritime expert

Malaysia / 1w

MACC, police probing TH after RCI findings as govt warns no one will be spared

Malaysia / 1w

Former PM Ismail Sabri expected to be charged tomorrow

Malaysia / 1w

MACC-Customs task force under discussion as smuggling cases pile pressure on enforcement agencies

Spotlight

Malaysia

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Sports & Fitness

Heat takes toll on athletes at SUKMA 2026

Malaysia

MOF denies viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI aid’ for housewives, single mothers and senior citizens

Malaysia

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Chow hits back at Rafizi, says DAP’s decision to stay must be respected

By Ian McIntyre

Sports & Fitness

RM200 Madani F1 tickets sell out as Malaysians flock to Sepang race

Malaysia

CAP claims existence of 'Malaysian Epstein Class' behind Tabung Haji scandal

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

You may be interested

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Khazanah transferred RM19.59 million to FashionValet in March 2018

Malaysia

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia

Negeri Sembilan assembly erupts over RM180k allocation to PH lawmakers before dissolution

Malaysia

SSM’s new corporate system clears 70,000 transactions as authorities tackle early disruptions

Malaysia

Govt open to study integrating GST, SST

Malaysia

Nation targets 30% grain corn self-sufficiency to reduce import risks