Malaysia

30 probe papers on fake news opened under emergency ordinance: Wan Junaidi

Law minister says court proceedings to continue even after repeal

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 25 Oct 2021 5:01PM

30 probe papers on fake news opened under emergency ordinance: Wan Junaidi
Law minister Datuk Seri Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar says objective of the Emergency (Essential Powers) (No. 2) Ordinance 2021 is to prevent the spread of fake news on Covid-19 and the emergency proclamation for the sake of public interest and security. – The Vibes file pic, October 25, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – A total of 30 investigation papers on the spread of fake news relating to Covid-19 were opened between March 12 and October 7 this year.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law) Datuk Seri Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said the probes were opened throughout the enforcement of the Emergency (Essential Powers) (No. 2) Ordinance 2021 (EO).

“The investigations were opened under Section 4(1) of the ordinance for enforcement of individuals or parties found to have uploaded or spread misinformation on Covid-19 and the emergency proclamation.”

On the effects and implications, Wan Junaidi said the revocation of emergency ordinances would not affect actions on related offences that occurred throughout the period, or “without prejudice to anything previously done by virtue thereof”.

“The repeal of EO does not prevent cases under investigation and court proceedings against offences committed during the emergency ordinance,” he said.

“(The court proceedings) will proceed even after this ordinance is repealed, provided the offence occurred while EO was in force,” Wan Junaidi said during his speech in the second reading of the Dewan Rakyat’s debate on the annulment of emergency ordinances this afternoon.

He said the ordinance was gazetted on March 11 and came into force on March 12 this year.

The objective of the ordinance was to prevent the spread of fake news on Covid-19 and the emergency proclamation for the sake of public interest and security.

Wan Junaidi said the ordinance would allow enforcement and investigation efforts to be expedited, while also ensuring the people received verified and accurate information.

“The emergency ordinance provides an alternative for police officers or other enforces to direct any person with possession, custody, or control of any publication containing fake news to remove the publication within 24 hours in order to expedite the process of removing such false news without going through the court process,” he said.

“Any person who does not comply with the directive within 24 hours will be committing an offence under Subsection 6(2) of the emergency ordinance.” – The Vibes, October 25, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3w

No discussions yet regarding general election – Zahid

Malaysia / 1mth

BNPL users hit eight million as outstanding balances reach RM5.3b

Malaysia / 1mth

Speaker reminds MPs not to skip parliamentary sessions

Malaysia / 1mth

Hamzah back in the saddle as opposition leader after brief shake-up

Malaysia / 2mth

Muhyiddin's seat in Dewan Rakyat moved to Block E

Malaysia / 5mth

‘I feel awkward sitting next to Hamzah’ – Muhyiddin

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Former investment bank CEO charged with RM139.8m fraud

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia

Magnitude 5.5 earthquake strikes Flores

Malaysia

Immigration truck tragedy: PM extends condolences, orders thorough probe

Malaysia

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir