Malaysia

Angkasa Event Space allowed to reopen, subject to conditions 

Venue co-founder shares clips of authorities removing security perimeter tape from premises

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 08 Sep 2022 7:42PM

Angkasa Event Space allowed to reopen, subject to conditions 
Angkasa Event Space co-founder Mohd Zulhelmie Zullifan has shared clips of Kuala Lumpur City Hall officers removing its security perimeter tape from the premises in Bandar Sri Permaisuri on Twitter.– @elmielmo Twitter pic, September 8, 2022

by Qistina Nadia Dzulqarnain

KUALA LUMPUR – Live music venue Angkasa Event Space has had its suspension conditionally lifted, two months after it was sealed following a raid by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) over permits.

Speaking to The Vibes, venue co-founder Mohd Zulhelmie Zullifan, or Elmi, said he was informed today that the venue has been allowed to reopen its doors to the public, albeit with slight limitations on the events it can host.  

“For now, we can use our space to hold learning events and even birthday parties – as long as there is no live DJ,” he said, adding that he and his team are in the process of settling the RM50,000 compound DBKL had issued during its raid in July. 

“We are trying to ask for a lower amount but they (DBKL officers) told us that there is a high possibility that we will have to pay the full figure,” he said. 

Angkasa had problems with DBKL in the past over permits needed to host live gigs. The permits require a deposit of RM30,000, an amount the venue operator says is too much for those in the independent and fringe music scene.

On July 24, DBKL had suspended Angkasa because it was found to have conducted entertainment activities – including having a live DJ – without a valid licence from the city hall. 

Elmi said the necessary funds to pay off the DBKL compound have been gathered from a fundraising event held on August 20 at Panggung Asia, Gombak. 

Angkasa’s entertainment licence was also renewed last month, according to Elmi, who added that the DJ board confiscated in July’s raid has not yet been returned. 

He also shared clips of DBKL officers removing its security perimeter tape from the premises in Bandar Sri Permaisuri, adding that a prayer ceremony will be held tonight to commemorate the venue’s re-opening. – The Vibes, September 8, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 6mth

KL Mayor ordered to fix weaknesses in DBKL contract management

Events / 8mth

Southeast Asian creative cities strengthen ties through renewed regional MOU in Kuala Lumpur

Off beat / 10mth

Heavy rains, strong winds wreak havoc at several locations in the capital

Malaysia / 1y

Victim hurt by falling debris from Bkt Damansara condo project calls for stern action

Malaysia / 1y

Vendor denies being warned thrice before he was allegedly roughed up

Malaysia / 1y

DBKL should focus on facilitating livelihoods, not destroying them, says former MP

Spotlight

Malaysia

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Sports & Fitness

Heat takes toll on athletes at SUKMA 2026

Malaysia

MOF denies viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI aid’ for housewives, single mothers and senior citizens

Malaysia

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Chow hits back at Rafizi, says DAP’s decision to stay must be respected

By Ian McIntyre

Sports & Fitness

RM200 Madani F1 tickets sell out as Malaysians flock to Sepang race

Malaysia

CAP claims existence of 'Malaysian Epstein Class' behind Tabung Haji scandal

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

You may be interested

Malaysia

5.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Bali Sea

Malaysia

Genting Highlands goldsmith robbed in two minutes, jewellery worth nearly RM1.7m stolen

Malaysia

Haze risk persists as Johan Setia records unhealthy air quality

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Nation targets 30% grain corn self-sufficiency to reduce import risks

Malaysia

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Malaysia

BN remains committed with unity government till end of term

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir