Malaysia

[UPDATED] No excuse for my absence: T’ganu MB apologises to flood victims, rakyat

Peak of disaster happened while I was abroad, says Datuk Seri Ahmad Samsuri Mokhtar

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 23 Dec 2022 4:49PM

[UPDATED] No excuse for my absence: T’ganu MB apologises to flood victims, rakyat
Datuk Seri Ahmad Samsuri Mokhtar says there should be no excuse for him to be overseas amid the floods, but explained that his decision to travel out of the country was made after seeing improvements in the situation in Terengganu last week. – @DrAhmadSamsuri Twitter pic, December 23, 2022

by Amar Shah Mohsen

KUALA LUMPUR – Terengganu Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Samsuri Mokhtar has expressed a heartfelt apology for being absent as a massive monsoon-triggered flood ravaged the state the past week.

In a press conference today, the PAS vice-president said there should be no excuse for him to be overseas amid the disaster, but explained that his decision to travel out of the country was made after seeing improvements in the flood situation in the state last week.

He added that the flooding had peaked between December 18 and 21 while he was already away.

“I would like to take this opportunity to express my deepest regret for not being together with the flood victims on the ground from December 18 to 21,” he said after attending a disaster management briefing this morning.

“As I was unable to be with them during this peak period, I would like to extend a million apologies to the victims and people of Terengganu over what happened. 

“I understand that I cannot give any excuses and, certainly, I cannot correct the situation in which I was absent from the rakyat.

“I also understand that whatever explanation I give, there is no meaning (to it). 

“But I would like to say on record that I have been monitoring the flood situation at all times and only decided to travel overseas after the flood receded, while the peak only happened later, from December 18 to 21.

“Unfortunately, at that time, I was overseas.”

According to Samsuri, the current floods in Terengganu were in two phases, the first being between December 8 and 17, although the state witnessed improvements to the situation from December 13 onwards.

The menteri besar said the second, bigger wave of floods hit the state on December 18 and peaked three days later, with a total of 41,021 victims forced to be evacuated to temporary relief centres.

He added that as of 8am today, 25,895 individuals remained displaced and are seeking shelter at 181 relief centres, while water levels at all but one river have receded.

Samsuri was previously lambasted online after it was revealed that he had travelled to New Zealand despite his state being hard hit by the floods. He returned to the country on Wednesday amid growing public anger.

Despite his absence, Samsuri explained that he had continuously communicated with all the agencies involved in the flood relief efforts.

“Any decisions that didn't need my approval as a menteri besar was implemented immediately by the head of the relevant agencies, while decisions that required my approval were also implemented after I communicated with members of the state disaster committee.”

Separately, Samsuri issued an apology to victims over any shortcomings in terms of the government’s response, saying this year’s monsoon flooding was unpredictably worse than expected.

“We admit there are weaknesses here and there in our management. We were prepared, and discussions over preparations were held much earlier than previously. However, the extreme weather and rain were far greater than our initial expectations and plans.

“Certainly, there are situations where victims received food aid much later, because certain relief centres were forced to be closed and moved to a new location due to the extreme situation. 

“Whatever shortcomings, if it is due to our weaknesses, I apologise and vow to improve in the future.”

Meanwhile, Samsuri announced a special cash aid of RM1,000 to each household affected by the flood, while RM10,000 will be given to the family of victims who died in the disaster.

Other financial assistance to help repair damaged houses or rebuild new ones will be done later once the state gathers full details on the expected cost. – The Vibes, December 23, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Use of Jalur Gemilang without crescent moon, stars was unintentional - MB

Malaysia / 1mth

Drug-positive man crashes into Terengganu Hospital emergency zone glass door

Malaysia / 2mth

Pregnant wife distraught over husband's sudden death from incident at sea

Malaysia / 3mth

Ahmad Samsuri named new opposition leader

Malaysia / 3mth

PJ MP slammed for ‘media statements without solutions’

Malaysia / 3mth

Heavy rains trigger flash floods in several locations around the Klang Valley (video)

Spotlight

Malaysia

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Sports & Fitness

Heat takes toll on athletes at SUKMA 2026

Malaysia

MOF denies viral ‘RM1,700 eMADANI aid’ for housewives, single mothers and senior citizens

Malaysia

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Chow hits back at Rafizi, says DAP’s decision to stay must be respected

By Ian McIntyre

Sports & Fitness

RM200 Madani F1 tickets sell out as Malaysians flock to Sepang race

Malaysia

CAP claims existence of 'Malaysian Epstein Class' behind Tabung Haji scandal

Malaysia

CPJ calls for withdrawal of excessive RM100m defamation suit against veteran journalist

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

You may be interested

Malaysia

At least eight MARA students allege they were victims of sexual harassment

Malaysia

Tengku Zafrul: Reform agenda must deliver results Malaysians can see and feel

Malaysia

Budget 2027 roadshow kicks off in Sabah with Blue Economy in focus

Malaysia

Anwar reaffirms Unity Government will last until end of term despite election rivalries

Malaysia

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Malaysia

DAP faced a Hobson’s choice

Malaysia

Mat Sabu calls for facts, not race, to shape debate over Tabung Haji RCI

Malaysia

DAP votes to stay in cabinet, ending uncertainty over role in MADANI Government

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir