World

Iran offers US$30,000 bounty for capturing or killing US troops, double reward for women

Iranian military chief Amir Hatami says anyone who kills or captures and hands over US troops will receive US$30,000

Updated 1 hour ago · Published on 17 Aug 2026 10:07AM

Iran offers US$30,000 bounty for capturing or killing US troops, double reward for women
Iranian women who bravely carry out such action will receive double the reward, Iran’s military says as tensions between Tehran and Washington remain high - August 17, 2026

IRAN'S military has offered a US$30,000 (RM122,490) reward for anyone who kills or captures US military personnel, with women promised twice that amount, as tensions between Tehran and Washington remain unresolved.

AFP reported Iranian military chief Amir Hatami saying the offer was made after authorities received a large number of requests from people seeking to participate.

He did not, however, provide details on where or when any attempt to capture or kill US personnel would take place.

"Anyone who kills or captures and hands over an invading US serviceman will receive a reward equivalent to US$30,000 or five billion tomans from the Army of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

"Iranian women who bravely carry out such an action will receive double the reward," he said, according to Iran's official IRNA news agency.

There are no known US ground military bases in Iran during the conflict, apart from a rescue mission in April to recover a US military pilot whose aircraft had been shot down.

Hatami also renewed Iran's call for the United States to withdraw from the Middle East, saying Washington no longer had permission to enter the Persian Gulf, Gulf of Oman or Strait of Hormuz.

The conflict between Tehran and Washington began on 28 February when the United States and Israel launched attacks on Iran.

More than a month after the war began, the US launched a large-scale operation to evacuate personnel associated with an F-15 weapons system, involving around 200 US military personnel and more than 170 aircraft, before the operation was detected by Iranian forces.

During the rescue operation, Iranian forces damaged an A-10 ground-attack aircraft, forcing it to land in allied territory.

The US was also reported to have abandoned and destroyed several aircraft used in the operation, including a C-130 transport aircraft.

Several days earlier, the F-15 pilot had been rescued by a helicopter crew in a smaller operation.

The conflict was subsequently suspended under a ceasefire in April after nearly 40 days of fighting, followed by a framework for peace negotiations in June that ultimately failed.

Since then, Iran and the United States have remained engaged in intermittent fighting, mainly in southern Iran and around the Strait of Hormuz.

Indirect contacts between the two sides through intermediaries have continued, but there have been few signs of diplomatic progress.

Iran has also put forward several conditions for reopening the Strait of Hormuz, including demands for war reparations.

The number of US military personnel killed since the conflict began has reached 17, with the latest death recorded last month.

All were killed outside Iran, including in Jordan and Iraq, according to AFP. - August 17, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

Anwar moves to cut red tape as govt faces calls to make business easier

Malaysia

DAP votes to stay in cabinet, ending uncertainty over role in MADANI Government

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Places

Church of the Assumption celebrates 240 years at heart of Penang’s heritage

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Doctor, retiree lose more than RM650,000 in separate online scams in Terengganu

Malaysia

Langkawi has realised only half its tourism potential, says Mahathir

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Rafizi says Anwar’s appeal to ‘old guard’ may not be aimed at him or Nik Nazmi

Malaysia

Malaysian pilot suspected of multiple drug runs since 2024 - Police

Malaysia

DAP will stay multiracial, says Loke, as party seeks to break racial barriers

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

You may be interested

World

US envoy meets Hamas leader in Egypt as Trump administration pushes Gaza disarmament plan

World

Magnitude 6.1 earthquake hits Sulawesi past midnight

World

Singapore tightens sexual offences laws, criminalises non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

World

Israeli strikes kill at least 11 in southern Lebanon in deadliest attacks since truce

World

Flores hit with magnitude 5.6 earthquake

World

Powerful Flores 7.7-magnitude earthquake kills 20 as two remain buried

World

Singapore police probe assault of 73-year-old man after he patted toddler’s head at food court