World

Australia nuclear sub deal in line with non-proliferation treaty: US official

Nothing in NPT that condemns Canberra’s Aukus defence alliance with UK and US

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 17 Dec 2021 7:00PM

Australia nuclear sub deal in line with non-proliferation treaty: US official
Though a non-nuclear weapons power, a US official says Australia is well within the parameters of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons with its bid to equip its navy with nuclear-powered submarines. – Pixabay pic, December 17, 2021

GENEVA – Australia’s programme to equip its navy with nuclear-powered submarines does not fall foul of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT), a senior United States official insisted yesterday. 

The new defence alliance that Australia officially entered into with Britain and the US last month could allow it to become the only non-nuclear weapons power to own nuclear-run submarines. Brazil is also pursuing nuclear propulsion for one of its submarines.

The so-called Aukus deal has faced concerns that it could present a nuclear proliferation risk, with China in particular labelling it an “extremely irresponsible” threat to stability in the region.

But a senior US State Department official, who asked not to be named, insisted yesterday there was nothing in the NPT that bars non-nuclear-weapon states from acquiring such weapons, which “forbids that programme that Australia is seeking to conclude with the US and the UK”.

The official said Aukus would instead set “a precedent of the highest possible level of safeguards” for any similar deals in the future.

“The world can be absolutely certain that there is no diversion of uranium to a weapons programme,” the official said, pointing out that Australia planned to equip the submarines with conventional rather than nuclear weapons, and that it had made clear it would “not build nuclear facilities on its territory that would contribute to a weapons capability”.

But such assurances would likely not dissuade China from making an issue of the deal during the next NPT review conference, set to take place in New York next month, the official said.

“I do expect China to raise the question of Aukus every hour on the hour... no matter what the topic of discussion,” the official said, suggesting Beijing would use the topic to avoid discussing its own swelling nuclear arsenal. 

A report from the Pentagon warned last month that Beijing was on track to more than double its nuclear arsenal to over 1,000 warheads by 2030.

Beijing accused the Pentagon report of “prejudice” and hyping the nuclear threat posed by China.

The State Department official said yesterday it is unlikely the question of Aukus would prove “an obstacle to achieving a positive outcome” at the NPT review conference – the first since 2015. – AFP, December 17, 2021

Related News

World / 3y

Japan allows nuclear plants to operate beyond 60 years

Malaysia / 3y

Asean should remain neutral zone amid China-US tensions: Anwar

Malaysia / 3y

Foreign nuclear-powered subs can enter our waters, just don’t provoke: Tok Mat

World / 3y

Australia, China hold ‘professional’ defence talks

World / 3y

Australia to buy US nuclear subs under Aukus defence pact

World / 3y

UK in £5 bil defence boost to respond to Russia, China

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse