Business

Trump's tariff threat leads UK to unveil £2.5 billion steel plan

The UK government introduces a new plan to protect jobs in the country’s steel industry just days after the US President threatened to introduce 25% tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum from all countries.

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 16 Feb 2025 9:15AM

Trump's tariff threat leads UK to unveil £2.5 billion steel plan
Money would be used to fund modern improvements, including the introduction of more efficient electric arc furnaces, says Business Secretary Jonathan Reynolds. - February 16, 2025

THE UK government has unveiled a new initiative aimed at safeguarding jobs and revitalizing the country's struggling steel industry.

The announcement came just days after former US President Donald Trump threatened to impose a 25% tariff on steel and aluminum imports from all nations, a move that raised concerns among British officials.

In a statement on Sunday, Business Secretary Jonathan Reynolds confirmed that the government would invest £2.5 billion US3.15 billion) to support the steel sector. The funding will come partly from the newly established National Wealth Fund, a key element of the UK’s broader strategy to bolster its industrial capabilities.

This financial injection is part of the government's effort to counter the challenges faced by the steel industry, which has been hit by rising energy costs, increased foreign competition, and declining investment.

Reynolds highlighted that the money would be used to fund modern improvements, including the introduction of more efficient electric arc furnaces. These upgrades aim to enhance the competitiveness of British steelmakers in the global market.

"We are committed to putting the full weight of the government behind this vital industry to help it thrive," Reynolds declared.

The new plan follows discussions within the UK government about potential tariffs on steel imports to the US. UK officials had been in talks with the Trump administration, hoping to avoid the imposition of such tariffs.

Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves expressed confidence that the UK could reach an agreement with the US to avert the tariffs.

Reeves pointed out that trade between the UK and the US is relatively balanced, with neither country having a significant surplus or deficit. "There is no real issue that would warrant tariffs or other trade barriers," Bloomberg reported her saying in an appearance on Matt Forde’s *The Political Party* podcast.

The UK exports about 10% of its steel to the US, while also importing some from the country. Despite this trade relationship, UK officials have been working to safeguard domestic production.

The government’s new strategy also comes as part of a wider plan to boost the UK steel industry’s role in major infrastructure projects.

Notably, the planned expansion of Heathrow Airport’s runway, a project requiring 400,000 tons of steel—enough to construct the Empire State Building—has been highlighted as a key opportunity to secure a long-term demand for British-made steel.

Reynolds emphasised that the Heathrow deal would create a reliable pipeline of work for the industry, ensuring steady demand for years to come. "The deal announced by Heathrow this week is a significant step in ensuring the future of the UK steel industry," he said.

The plan will focus on expanding domestic steel production, shielding the sector from unfair global trading practices, and improving the processing of scrap steel.

It will also encourage the use of UK-made steel in public sector projects, ensuring that more of the steel used in national infrastructure is produced domestically.

Andy Prendergast, national secretary for the GMB Union, underscored the importance of the plan in maintaining the UK’s steelmaking capacity.

"As global conditions become more unpredictable, a strong, domestic steel industry is essential for both our economy and national security," he said.

This new initiative represents a bold step in the UK’s efforts to protect and revitalise its steel sector, ensuring that it remains competitive in the face of global challenges. – February 16, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert