Business

US relief bill may be too skimpy for restaurants

Stimulus too late for estimated 110,000 restaurants that have closed doors permanently

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Dec 2020 1:30PM

US relief bill may be too skimpy for restaurants
United States eateries that survive the shutdowns and restrictions on indoor dining, can borrow up to US$2 million in loans that would convert to grants if at least 60% is spent on payroll –  Pixabay pic, December 30, 2020

NEW YORK – Washington's long-awaited pandemic relief package offers a lifeline to the devastated United States restaurant industry, but eateries still face months of turmoil before they are clear of the coronavirus crisis.

The US$900 billion (RM3.64 trillion) bill that provides more funding for the Paycheck Protection Programme (PPP), comes too late for the estimated 110,000 restaurants that have closed their doors permanently.

Those that survived the shutdowns and restrictions on indoor dining, can borrow up to US$2 million in loans that would convert to grants if at least 60% is spent on payroll. 

Despite some improvements from the original PPP that Congress approved in March, restaurants gave mixed reviews of the programme  and some worry the funding will fall short. 

Vivian Forte, who with her husband owns Pisticci in New York City, said Monday she was “exuberant” the relief bill was finally enacted. Without it she would have had to lay off the entire staff.

“Our back is completely against the wall,”  Forte said. “None of us are making any money. We're all in this for the staff right now.” 

But Andrew Volk, owner of the Hunt and Alpine Club in Portland, Maine, has not decided whether to seek another PPP loan. 

It “seems like a band aid,” he said.

“We don’t know what our business is going to look like when the snow melts.”

“We’re just hustling” 

Nine months into the pandemic, a recent survey from the National Restaurant Association shows more than one-sixth of the nation’s restaurants have closed, and a majority expect continued furloughs and layoffs for at least the next three months.

Dimitri Fetokakis, owner of Niko Niko's, a small Greek restaurant chain in Houston, said the crisis has forced eateries to adapt.

“We’re just hustling,” he said.

When in-person dining was banned in the early days of the pandemic, Niko Niko’s cut managers’ salaries by 40%  and they joined other staff assisting with curbside pickup.

He also organised pop-up events in the suburbs, taking orders online and setting up mass-distribution sites without delivery charges.

Fetokakis said he expects to apply for a PPP for his catering business and for the downtown location that has suffered most with many people still working from home.

RayNathan’s, a North Carolina barbecue restaurant, has found it difficult to adapt as business has fluctuated, especially given the time-intensive nature of good barbeque: smoked beef brisket, for example, requires 15 hours of prep time.

“The dining public is just a lot more emotional,” said co-owner Stephen Carroll of the unpredictable flows that make it difficult to know how much food to cook. 

At times the restaurant has given away surplus food to food banks.

“You've either got waste, or you lose sales when you don’t have enough,” he said.

Carroll said he is not sure if the restaurant will apply for another PPP. 

The earlier round allowed him to avert layoffs, but the original rules mandated the money be spent within eight weeks.

Political reality 

Congress in June extended the deadline to use the funds to 24 weeks, but by then RayNathan’s had already spent most of the money, Carroll said.

The PPP also has been a source of controversy, after huge amounts went to publicly-traded companies including Shake Shack and Ruth's Chris before the chains returned the funds, and after revelations about funds going to tenants of buildings owned by the Trump Organisation and the family of Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and advisor.

Still, the programme  has been credited with saving millions of jobs and again became the prime vehicle for providing government support to small businesses.

After months of grinding talks on the second round of stimulus, Congress approved US$284 billion to fund PPP.

The programme is open to all industries, but includes some features specific to restaurants. It allows restaurants to receive loans up 3.5 times their monthly payroll, compared with 2.5 times for other industries. Restaurants also may deduct business expenses paid with PPP loans.

Industry leaders had been championing the US$120 billion Restaurants Act, which would provide grants that can be used to pay back debt as well as low-interest, 10-year loans designed to put restaurants back on solid footing for the medium-term.

The Democratic-controlled House passed the Restaurants Act and it currently lists 52 bipartisan supporters in the Senate, a majority.

But Mike Whatley, a vice president with the National Restaurant Association, said given the US$900 billion limit, the targeted bill “was just too much to get done.” 

But he said the PPP improvements would provide help in the interim as the industry prepares for another push in Washington next year. – AFP, December 30, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 14h

MP to raise commingled oil cargo tax uncertainty in Parliament

Business / 22h

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

World / 1d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Malaysia / 1w

Delivery rider’s birthday gesture leaves young boy smiling (video)

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit