Business

Australian govt blocks Chinese company’s bid for construction firm

China State Construction Engineering Corp walks away from proposed purchase of Probuild

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 12 Jan 2021 11:10PM

Australian govt blocks Chinese company’s bid for construction firm
A potential buyer – reported to be China State Construction Engineering Corporation – walked away from proposed purchase of Australia’s Probuild after being told government would block the deal. – Twitter pic, January 12, 2021

SYDNEY – A Chinese company’s bid for an Australia-based building contractor has been abandoned after the Australian government signalled it would block the purchase over national security concerns.

A “major international” firm – reported to be China State Construction Engineering Corporation – walked away from its proposed purchase of Probuild after it was told the government would block the deal, according to the builder’s South African parent company Wilson Bayly Holmes-Ovcon (WBHO).

The potential buyer was told the purchase of WBHO’s majority stake, reportedly worth A$300 million (RM941.34 million), “would be rejected by the Federal Government on the grounds of national security”, the company said in an announcement to the South African stock exchange yesterday.

Relations between Canberra and Beijing were in free-fall throughout last year, with China hitting out at a list of issues including Australia’s call for an inquiry into the origins of Covid-19 and a ban on Huawei’s participation in the nation’s 5G network.

The row has seen more than a dozen Australian sectors hit with import levies, with the barley and wine industries particularly badly hit. Exporters stand to lose as much as between US$2 billion (RM8.12 billion) and US$4 billion worth of sales.

In 2020, the Australian government tightened rules covering foreign investment in the country, with temporary measures allowing increased oversight on takeovers of local firms during the pandemic.

Probuild boasts a long list of major projects in Australia, including the construction of headquarters for the biotechnology giant CSL – which will produce local Covid-19 vaccines in the country.

Australian media reported that the advice on the proposed sale had come from Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, who also stepped in last year to stop the sale of a major dairy producer to a Chinese firm.  

Frydenberg declined to comment on the reports. – AFP,  January 12, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 20h

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit