Business

Daimler beats forecasts in preliminary 2020 results

Carmaker struggling with an industry-wide shortage of semiconductors and coronavirus disruptions that ‘will probably impact the first quarter

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 29 Jan 2021 12:00PM

Daimler beats forecasts in preliminary 2020 results
Visitors try the Mercedes Benz EQC 400 car at the Beijing Auto Show in Beijing on September 27, 2020.The German carmaker plans to publish full 2020 financial data on February 18 – AFP pic, January 29, 2021

FRANKFURT – Mercedes-Benz parent company Daimler yesterday released preliminary earnings data for 2020 showing higher-than-expected operating profit in a year battered by the coronavirus pandemic.

At €6.6 billion (RM32.36 billion), profit before interest and taxes (EBIT) was up by around half on 2019’s figure and well above the group's previous forecast of €4.3 billion, the partial data showed.

But Daimler’s 2019 earnings had been undermined by billions in costs from the “dieselgate” emissions cheating scandal.

Adjusted for those one-off charges, 2020’s profits were down 16% year-on-year.

Like most of the industry, Stuttgart-based Daimler was especially badly hit in the first half of 2020 by factory and showroom closures imposed by Berlin as part of nationwide lockdowns to rein in the spread of the coronavirus.

Continuing legal woes including dieselgate weighed on earnings to the tune of €164 million, while a far-reaching restructuring slated to bring at least 10,000 job cuts costs €1.9 billion.

Media reports suggest further posts could go in a drive to cut 20% of costs by 2025, announced in October.

Looking ahead to 2021, the carmaker pointed to “successful cost discipline... and expected good underlying demand” as factors supporting “positive business development”.

But Daimler is struggling with an industry-wide shortage of semiconductors and continuing coronavirus disruptions that “will probably impact the first quarter,” it said.

Lack of vital computer chips forced production to slow at several of its sites this month.

The Mercedes-Benz maker added that its optimistic statements “are made under the assumption of no further Covid-19 lockdowns”.

The group plans to publish full 2020 financial data on February 18.– AFP, January 29, 2021 

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

Malaysia / 1w

Six per cent growth proves Malaysia's economy remains resilient - PM

Opinion / 1w

LHDN’s uneven hand: Tough on MSMEs, soft on the shadows

Opinion / 2w

Lessons From Negeri Sembilan - Charles Santiago

Opinion / 3w

The last dredge

Malaysia / 3w

Play chess, not checkers: Why Negeri Sembilan matters

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir