Business

Proton sales decline 29.9% in Jan

MCO announcement dashes hopes that momentum built at end of last year will continue

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Feb 2021 11:30AM

Proton sales decline 29.9% in Jan
Proton Holdings Bhd market share and sales have declined in January this year, compared with the same period last year. – February 3, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – Proton Holdings Bhd delivered 5,964 units to customers last month, down 29.9% compared with January last year.

The company in a statement said its market share is estimated at 18.5%, about 1.0% lower than that of the same period last year.

“The overall figures, though, are a reflection of supply not being able to meet demand rather than a reduction in bookings.”

Leading Proton sales in January was Proton Saga with 2,583 units delivered, making it the second most popular A-segment sedan in the country.

The Proton X70 and Proton X50 SUV twins continue to lead the C-segment SUV and B-segment SUV (five-seat) categories, though registered units were down to 892 and 1,082 units, respectively.

For the latter, 4,809 units have been delivered since its official launch on October 27 last year.

Proton Edar chief executive officer Roslan Abdullah said January was a difficult month for Malaysia’s automotive industry.

Hopes were high that the momentum built at the end of last year will be carried forward, especially after the announcement that Penjana incentives will remain in place until the end of June this year.

Unfortunately, the second movement control order (MCO) announcement put a damper on those hopes.

“Still, Proton, as well as the rest of the industry, is in full support of all measures that the government has in place to control the rate of infection,” Roslan said.

“The safety of all Malaysians needs to remain as the main priority, and companies need to pivot to achieve their goals in a changed market environment.”

He said while Proton’s order book remains healthy, with orders carried over from the end of last year, the company is still working hard for supply to catch up to demand.

He said as an industry that depends on a global supply chain, automotive companies are acutely affected by delays to vendors that have a knock-on effect to their production lines.

“Measures like the MCO have naturally affected the number of customers coming to showrooms, but we can receive bookings online, which help boost our sales.

“However, our supply lines have been disrupted over the last few months by the coronavirus, making it difficult to ensure a steady flow of parts needed to build our cars.

“It’s something all car manufacturers have been facing for the past year, but we are hopeful that with the arrival of a vaccine things will stabilise by the middle of the year.”

Despite the delays, Proton intends to pursue its product launch plans for this year, as the company strives for more sales growth both domestically and abroad.

“For now, we will stick to our 2021 product launch schedule. We have an exciting series of improved products in the pipeline while the Proton X50 will now be able to establish its standing in the market by benefitting from a full year of sales.” – Bernama, February 3, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

Malaysia / 1w

Six per cent growth proves Malaysia's economy remains resilient - PM

Opinion / 1w

LHDN’s uneven hand: Tough on MSMEs, soft on the shadows

Opinion / 2w

Lessons From Negeri Sembilan - Charles Santiago

Opinion / 3w

The last dredge

Malaysia / 3w

Play chess, not checkers: Why Negeri Sembilan matters

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir