Business

Virus pushes Santander into massive annual loss

Results in line with forecasts for loss of around €8.65 billion from analysts polled by Factset

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Feb 2021 8:30PM

Virus pushes Santander into massive annual loss
Santander had recorded the first net loss of its history – €11.13 billion – during the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic in the second quarter of last year. – Wikipediapic, February 3, 2021

MADRID – Spanish banking giant Santander reported today a net loss of over €8.7 billion for 2020 due to restructuring costs and provisions set aside to cope with the coronavirus crisis.

The results were in line with forecasts for a loss of around €8.65 billion from analysts polled by Factset.

In the fourth quarter alone, the bank achieved a profit of €277 million (RM1.34 billion), well below the €526 million expected by analysts.

Santander had recorded the first net loss of its history – €11.13 billion – during the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic in the second quarter of last year.

The dire outlook for the global economy forced the company to downgrade the value of several of its subsidiaries, particularly in the United Kingdom.

In addition, Banco Santander set aside more than €12 billion in 2020 in provisions to cover the risk of unpaid loans due to the virus crisis, up 47% over the previous year.

“Although the crisis is global, our geographic and business diversification have once again served us well and underscored the strength of our team and mode,” said executive chairman Ana Botin in a statement.

Given the pandemic, she said vaccination was “the most important economic policy for 2021.”

“We will not let down our guard, but I define my view as one of realistic optimism. A successful roll out of the vaccine will act as a strong catalyst for economic recovery.” – AFP, February 3, 2021

Related News

World / 1mth

Spain refuses to stay silent as pressure mounts on defenders of international justice

Business / 2mth

Time for banks to step up and do their part, stresses former finance minister

Opinion / 4mth

The hidden unemployment no one talks about

Opinion / 1y

Beyond the pay gap – why women need to prioritise wealth, not just income

Malaysia / 2y

NUBE to continue search for answers over missing RM2 million

Malaysia / 3y

Tiong floats idea of tourism industry bank to help finance ailing businesses

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets