Business

Qantas posts huge loss, says no international flights until Oct

Revenue for Australia’s biggest carrier plunges US$5.5 bil

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Feb 2021 11:30AM

Qantas posts huge loss, says no international flights until Oct
With Australia’s successful containment of the pandemic, Qantas flags a return to 60% of pre-Covid domestic capacity by the end of March and 80% by the end of June. – Pixabay pic, February 25, 2021

SYDNEY – Australian carrier Qantas reported a US$5.5 billion (RM22.2 billion) plunge in revenue during the second half of 2020 and said international passenger flights would not resume until October as the pandemic continued to devastate the industry.

The country’s biggest airline said it suffered an underlying loss of A$1.1 billion in the six months to December 31, with statutory losses climbing to A$1.47 billion.

“These figures are stark, but they won’t come as a surprise,” said Qantas CEO Alan Joyce.

“A year ago, none of us knew just how big an impact Covid would have on the world, or on aviation. It’s clearly worse than anyone expected,” he said.

“Border closures meant we lost virtually 100% of our international flying and 70% of our domestic flying – three-quarters of our revenue – around A$7 billion, went with it.

Joyce noted that the company had already seen revenue fall A$4 billion during the first half of 2020, bringing the total impact of the pandemic to A$11 billion.

“That is a massive number, probably a bigger number than any other company in Australia is experiencing because of Covid,” he told a press conference.

Joyce pushed back the expected resumption of international passenger flights from July to the end of October, but said the cost of keeping those planes on the ground was largely being offset by increased freight operations.

With Australia’s successful containment of the pandemic, Qantas flagged a return to 60% of pre-Covid domestic capacity by the end of March and 80% by the end of June.

Qantas had posted a US$1.9 billion loss for the year ending June 30 as the coronavirus pandemic gripped the global economy.

Joyce said a total of 8,500 staff would lose their jobs due to the crisis, and another 7,500 would remain suspended until the resumption of international flights.

Around 100 planes have also been grounded as part of a A$10 billion cost-cutting blitz and restructuring effort that Qantas said would save it A$1 billion a year from 2023. – AFP, February 25, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

World / 3mth

Qantas flight diverted after passenger allegedly bites crew member

Malaysia / 4mth

Malaysia, Australia back Pope Leo's call for peace, urge dialogue to end global conflicts

Malaysia / 5mth

Asian airlines raise ticket prices, consider groundings as fuel prices surge

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Education / 7mth

Legal board withdraws recognition of law degrees from 2 Australian, NZ universities

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert