Business

News Corp strikes content deal with Facebook in Australia

Agreement will see media outlets provide reports via social media giant’s ‘News’ service

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 16 Mar 2021 10:30AM

News Corp strikes content deal with Facebook in Australia
News Corp’s three-year content deal with Facebook in Australia will apply to dozens of newspapers across the country, including The Australian, Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph and Melbourne’s Herald Sun. – AFP pic, March 16, 2021

SYDNEY – Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp today announced a three-year content deal with Facebook in Australia, weeks after Canberra introduced laws forcing digital platforms to pay for news.

Facebook last month blocked all news in the country amid a heated dispute over the legislation, causing outrage Down Under as non-media Facebook pages, including for emergency services, government health departments and charities, were caught up in the ban.

But the US tech giant later lifted the news blackout and agreed to negotiate paid arrangements with Australian media, leading the government to water down rules in the so-called News Media Bargaining Code.

The agreement will see News Corp’s Australian media outlets provide content via Facebook’s “News” service, similar to a deal the companies struck in the US in October 2019.

It will apply to dozens of newspapers across the country – including The Australian, Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph and Melbourne’s Herald Sun – while Sky News Australia has also reached a new, expanded agreement with Facebook.

No details were given about the value of the deal.

News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson said the outcome was “more than a decade in the making”.

“The agreement with Facebook is a landmark in transforming the terms of trade for journalism, and will have a material and meaningful impact on our Australian news businesses,” he said in a statement.

Andrew Hunter, Facebook’s head of news partnerships Australia and New Zealand, confirmed the agreements and said the company was “committed to bringing Facebook News to Australia”.

Facebook and Google, the two companies targeted by the regulation, had strongly objected to clauses requiring them to submit to mandatory arbitration over the amount they would have to pay local media to show Australian news on their platforms and search results.

Google negotiated multimillion dollar content licensing deals for its “Showcase” product with a host of Australian companies, and notably the country’s two biggest news organisations: News Corp and Nine Entertainment.

Australia’s government agreed to weaken the arbitration requirements if the tech giants reached deals with local media firms. – AFP, March 16, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1mth

Forget the judges. Book the studio

Events / 2mth

International media networks need to be strengthened to face global challenges

Malaysia / 4mth

Malaysia, Australia back Pope Leo's call for peace, urge dialogue to end global conflicts

Education / 7mth

Legal board withdraws recognition of law degrees from 2 Australian, NZ universities

Off beat / 7mth

RM5 parking fee suddenly 'jumps' to RM1,469 as man is about to tap card

Malaysia / 9mth

Cambodians flood PM Anwar’s Facebook with messages of gratitude for peace effort

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir