Business

Saudi plans economic overhaul with US$3.2 tril investment

Top crude exporter accelerates economic diversification efforts as it battles high youth unemployment and coronavirus-triggered downturn

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 31 Mar 2021 10:30PM

Saudi plans economic overhaul with US$3.2 tril investment
The announcement by de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman underscores a push to jumpstart the domestic economy as the Opec kingpin battles high youth unemployment and a coronavirus-triggered downturn. – AFP pic, March 31, 2021

RIYADH – Saudi Arabia yesterday announced plans to pump fresh investments worth US$3.2 trillion (RM13.3 trillion) into the national economy by 2030, as the top crude exporter accelerates economic diversification efforts.

The announcement by de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman underscores a push to jumpstart the domestic economy as the Opec kingpin battles high youth unemployment and a coronavirus-triggered downturn.

“The total investment injected... into the national economy is expected to reach 12 trillion riyals (US$3.2 trillion) by 2030,” Mohammed said in a speech carried by state television.

That amount includes three trillion riyals from the Public Investment Fund (PIF), the kingdom’s sovereign wealth fund.

Twenty-four of the kingdom’s biggest companies, including energy giant Aramco and petrochemical firm Sabic, will contribute five trillion riyals over the next decade, the crown prince told reporters later at a virtual briefing.

He said the companies, many of them listed, had agreed to lower their dividends and redirect the money into the domestic economy in exchange for incentives such as subsidies.

The remaining four trillion riyals will come from a new “national investment strategy”, which will soon be announced, the prince said.

The initiative will help boost economic growth, create hundreds of thousands of new jobs and strengthen the private sector, Mohammed added.

The programme is part of a mammoth 27 trillion riyal (RM30 trillion) investment plan over the next decade, which will include huge government spending to spur the domestic economy, the prince said.

The announcement comes after the crown prince said in January that the PIF would invest US$40 billion annually in the domestic economy over the next five years.

The kingdom is pushing to boost job creation and revive businesses decimated by the pandemic.

Joblessness in Saudi Arabia touched 14.9% in the third quarter of 2020, dipping slightly from an all-time high of 15.4% in the previous quarter, according to official data.

Last year, the twin shocks of the pandemic and a drop in oil prices prompted the petro-state to triple its value-added tax and suspend a monthly allowance to civil servants to rein in a ballooning budget deficit.

Saudi Arabia, the biggest Arab economy, has been struggling to attract foreign investment, a key pillar of the crown prince’s “Vision 2030” economic diversification plan to boost non-oil revenue. – AFP, March 31, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1mth

Modernity beyond the West? What Saudi Arabia is really testing

World / 1mth

Saudi Aramco helicopter crash kills 14 nationals (video)

Malaysia / 6mth

'I personally heard King Abdullah promise donations to Najib' - Jamil Khir

Malaysia / 7mth

Nadia Kesuma was found to have left Saudi Arabia

Malaysia / 9mth

King departs for state visit to Saudi Arabia

Malaysia / 2y

Silat body defends performance of Malay martial art at mosque in Medina amid criticisms

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns