Business

Proton sales hit 7.5-year high

Car-marker sells 14,989 units in March, its best sales month since September 2013

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Apr 2021 5:30PM

Proton sales hit 7.5-year high
Proton delivered 3,513 units of its X50 SUV last month. – Proton pic, April 2, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – Proton Holdings Bhd sold 14,989 vehicles in domestic and export markets last month, up 26.2% from February, giving it an estimated market share of 23.5%.

The national car manufacturer recorded not only a new sales high for the year but also achieved its best sales month since September 2013. 

Following this, Proton has retained its second position in the sales rankings table.

“For the first quarter of the year, the company achieved a cumulative sales total of 32,826 vehicles and its highest quarterly market share figure since March 2012,” it said in a statement today. 

Additionally, Proton said the two sport utility vehicle (SUV) models continued to grow last month as the company’s new production line at Tg Malim increased its output for the month, with 3,513 units of the X50 delivered while the X70 saw a month-on-month increase of 58.4% to 2,337 vehicles.  

“When combined, it means Proton has set another internal record with 5,850 SUVs delivered, beating the previous record of 4,820 units that was set just last month,” it added. 

Proton said the Saga remained its top seller with 5,589 vehicles delivered, with sales for the A-segment sedan growing by 32.5% compared with February.

The Persona, Iriz and Exora also posted the best figures for the year, with the evergreen multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) once again claiming the crown for highest C-segment MPV sales with 2,151 vehicles, 810 vehicles, 584 vehicles respectively sold in March.

Proton Edar Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Roslan Abdullah said after a soft start to the year, Malaysia’s automotive industry has finally hit its stride.

“We estimate total industry volume to be more than 63,000 units, suggesting that all brands will post their best numbers for the year. 

“For Proton, March was a very good sales month as we achieved our highest figure in 90 months but our sense of achievement is tempered by the fact that it could have been even better if we were able to produce more units,” he said. 

Roslan added that as things stand, Proton still have a large order bank to fulfil, and over the next few months, the car-maker will strive to increase production while maintaining its focus on delivering high-quality products.

“We are also mindful that the National Economic Recovery Plan (Penjana) incentives are currently due to expire by the end-June, so we aim to ensure as many customers as possible are able to enjoy the tax holiday given by the government.” – Bernama, April 2, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

SUV driver positive for drugs, enters opposite lane, crashes into four vehicles (video)

Motoring / 3mth

Proton AMA02 set for production by end-2026, compact ‘Saga Cross’ SUV rumoured

Malaysia / 3mth

NS crisis: Umno-BN Excos told to vacate offices, return official vehicles today

Malaysia / 4mth

IPTS graft probe: Two lecturers among those nabbed by MACC

Malaysia / 4mth

Heatwave: Public advised to limit outdoor time, stay hydrated - MOH

Malaysia / 4mth

2.3 million vehicles expected on highway daily this weekend - PLUS

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns