Business

LG quits smartphone business

South Korean electronics company's mobile phone arm to fully wind down by July 31

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 05 Apr 2021 3:30PM

LG quits smartphone business
LG says its exit from the incredibly competitive mobile phone sector will enable it to focus resources in growth areas, such as electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics and artificial intelligence. – Pixabay pic, April 5, 2021

SEOUL – The South Korean LG Electronics Inc says it is halting production of its smartphones so that it can focus on other areas, such as electric cars, the company said in a statement, reported Sputnik.

“The decision was approved by its board of directors earlier today,” the statement today read, adding that “LG’s strategic decision to exit the incredibly competitive mobile phone sector will enable the company to focus resources in growth areas, such as electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics, artificial intelligence and business-to-business solutions, as well as platforms and services”.

The company said the current LG phone inventory will continue to be available for sale, but the mobile phone business is expected to fully wind down by July 31.

“LG will provide service support and software updates for customers of existing mobile products for a period of time, which will vary by region. LG will work collaboratively with suppliers and business partners throughout the closure of the mobile phone business. Details related to employment will be determined at the local level,” the company said.

LG Electronics was once considered a pioneer of the Android operating system, collaborating with Google on the Nexus series in the early 2010s, AFP reported.

But it has long struggled to increase sales, entering the market late and facing tough competition from emerging cheaper Chinese rivals such as Huawei.

It was regularly listed among the world’s top 10 smartphone manufacturers but according to tracker Counterpoint, the last time it recorded a global market share of 3% or more was in the second quarter of 2018.

The unit has recorded losses for 23 consecutive quarters since 2015, with the cumulative deficit reaching about 5 trillion won (RM18.2 billion) by the end of last year.

LG reportedly held talks with Vietnam’s Vingroup over a potential sale, but it broke down over price differences, according to local reports. – Bernama, April 5, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 10mth

No need for students to use smartphones at school or at home, says former education DG

Business / 3y

US companies pledge RM100 bil investment in M’sia in 18 months: envoy

Tech / 3y

This take-along TV fits into its own suitcase

Tech / 3y

From bricks to flips: 50 years of mobile phones

Tech / 3y

What to expect from Android 14, coming fall 2023

Community / 3y

Budget Chinese New Year student video tells a Malaysian tale of Silent Love

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir