Business

VW demands €1 bil ‘dieselgate’ payout from ex-CEO

Sum would be highest ever claim for damages against a company executive in Germany

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Apr 2021 9:15AM

VW demands €1 bil ‘dieselgate’ payout from ex-CEO
The Volkswagen group was plunged into crisis in 2015 when it admitted to installing cheating software in 11 million diesel vehicles worldwide to dupe pollution tests. – EPA pic, April 24, 2021

FRANKFURT – Auto giant Volkswagen is seeking more than a €1 billion (RM4.7 billion) in damages from ex-CEO Martin Winterkorn over the “dieselgate” emissions cheating scandal, German media reported yesterday.

The sum would be the highest ever claim for damages against a company executive in Germany, according to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.

Volkswagen has written to Winterkorn to demand the sum, the bulk of which is likely to be covered by his liability insurance, the report said, without citing its sources.

Volkswagen and a source close to Winterkorn both declined to comment when contacted by AFP.

The Volkswagen group was plunged into crisis in 2015 when it admitted to installing cheating software in 11 million diesel vehicles worldwide to dupe pollution tests. 

The scandal, based on allegations from the US Environmental Protection Agency, has so far cost the German car giant more than €30 billion in fines, legal costs and compensation.

VW said last month it would be demanding compensation from Winterkorn, as well as Rupert Stadler, the former head of its Audi division, for “breach of duty” in connection with the affair. The company did not reveal how much it was seeking then.

The amount demanded from Stadler “is expected to be much smaller” than that asked of Winterkorn, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported. 

VW accuses Winterkorn of failing to take action from July 2015 to get “immediate and comprehensive” information about the use of the illegal software in vehicles sold in North America between 2009 and 2015.

It also says he “failed in this context to ensure that the questions asked by the US authorities were truthfully and fully answered”.

Winterkorn, 73, and four other ex-Volkswagen colleagues are due to go on trial together in Germany on charges of organised commercial fraud and serious tax evasion.

The start of proceedings has been repeatedly pushed back due to the coronavirus pandemic and is now set to start on September 16.

The first senior executive to go on trial over “dieselgate” was Stadler, 58, whose fraud proceedings opened in Munich last year. – AFP, April 24, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Police investigate case of knife-wielding woman who damaged vehicle (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Is reputation worth so much more than a person’s life?

Malaysia / 2w

3 men arrested for smashing car windows in Desa Mentari (videos)

Malaysia / 1mth

Opposition wants Jho Low to be brought to justice immediately

Malaysia / 2mth

Court allows Najib to obtain documents ahead of 1MDB's US$8 billion suit hearing

Malaysia / 2mth

Family of five killed as car crashes into water pipe in Serian

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns