Business

WEF scraps Singapore meet over Covid-19 concerns

Next annual meet will be held in first half of 2022, with final location, date to be determined based on assessment in coming months

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 18 May 2021 9:25AM

WEF scraps Singapore meet over Covid-19 concerns
The World Economic Forum’s annual gathering for 2021 had been slated to be held in Singapore from August 17 to 20. – Pixabay pic, May 18, 2021

SINGAPORE – The World Economic Forum (WEF) has informed the Singapore government that it will cancel its special annual meeting for 2021, which had been scheduled to take place in the republic from August 17 to 20.

It is due to the continuing global uncertainties caused by Covid-19, said the Trade and Industry Ministry in response to media queries yesterday.

“The Singapore government fully appreciates the challenges caused by the ongoing pandemic, particularly for a large meeting with a broad span of international participants.

“We will continue to work actively with WEF and other key international organisations to promote collaborations between stakeholders on issues of global concern.”

Separately, WEF said the tragic circumstances unfolding across geographies, an uncertain travel outlook, differing speeds of vaccination roll-outs, and the uncertainty surrounding new Covid-19 variants make it impossible to realise a global meeting with business, government and civil society leaders from all over the world at the scale that had been planned.

The forum said the next annual meeting will take place in the first half of 2022, with the final location and date to be determined based on an assessment of the situation later this summer.

“It was a difficult decision, particularly in view of the great interest of our partners to come together not just virtually, but in person, and to contribute to a more resilient, more inclusive and more sustainable world,” said WEF founder and executive chairman Prof Klaus Schwab on the forum’s website.

“But ultimately, the health and safety of everyone concerned is our highest priority.

“We will continue to engage our increasing number of partners in our numerous work streams addressing key issues on the global agenda through public-private cooperation.” – Bernama, May 18, 2021

Related News

World / 3d

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

Malaysia / 4d

S'pore driver involved in altercation with Malaysian policeman near Woodlands Checkpoint

Malaysia / 3w

Play chess, not checkers: Why Negeri Sembilan matters

Malaysia / 1mth

Singapore: Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon to retire in Feb 2027, succeeded by Justice Sushil Nair

Malaysia / 1mth

State policies have not benefitted Johoreans, forcing many to seek employment in Singapore, says Guan Eng

World / 2mth

Rat spotted scurrying around on Singapore East-West Line MRT train (video)

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns