Business

Italy expects 20% tourism hike as Covid-19 restrictions ease

33 million arrivals expected between June and August, sector to net around €12.8 billion euros in same period

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 06 Jun 2021 4:00PM

Italy expects 20% tourism hike as Covid-19 restrictions ease
The positive forecasts for the Italian tourism industry will still not be enough for the sector’s performance to return to pre-Covid-19 levels, says Assoturismo, though they herald the slow recovery of one of the countries worst hit by the virus in Europe. – iStock pic, June 6, 2021

ROME – Italy expects a 20% increase in summer tourist numbers this year over 2020 as the country progressively eases Covid-19 restrictions, Italian tourism federation Assoturismo said yesterday.

“The 2021 summer season is showing the first signs of a sector recovery. Between June and August, 33 million arrivals are forecast along with 140 million nights spent in official (tourist) structures – a 20.8% rise on 2020,” Assoturismo said after surveying 2,185 tourism firms.

The federation added that would net the sector around €12.8 billion euros (RM64.3 billion) in tourism receipts – around three-quarters from fellow Italians visiting other regions. 

Even so, Assoturismo said the rise “would not be enough to return to pre-Covid-19 levels” as summer 2019, the last before the pandemic, saw an additional 73.5 million nights spent in the country.

Before the pandemic, tourism accounted for 14% of gross domestic product in Italy – EU’s third-largest economy – and coronavirus fallout helped tip Italy into its worst recession since World War II.

Despite the reopening of numerous air links the sector is pinning its hopes on short-hop tourism this summer as locals eye coastal breaks as well as major city draws Rome, Florence and Venice.

Such shorter trips are expected to rise by a quarter on last year, helped not least by price drops of up to a third.

Italy hopes to welcome 6.7 million more foreign tourists this year than in 2020, but arrivals will still be well down, by around two-thirds, on 2019 when the 100-million mark was passed.

“After 12 terrible months, Italian tourism finally can detect concrete signs of recovery. But it is still a slow recovery, above all where foreign demand is concerned, which will not be enough to pull back what was lost with the pandemic,” said Assoturismo president Vittorio Messina.

“Our hope is that end of season sales give us better results thanks to the European health passport,” Messina added.

She said she regrets that uncertainty regarding dates for easing restrictions and curfew limitations had turned some foreign visitors to other destinations.

Italian authorities have progressively been lifting restrictions as virus data improves.

The current curfew, which previously ran from 11pm to 5am will from tomorrow be pushed back an hour to begin at midnight.

Bars and restaurants will also be allowed to serve indoors at tables limited to a maximum of four customers. – AFP, June 6, 2021

Related News

Our Planet / 1w

New tourism concepts from Thailand to mark new border crossing

Malaysia / 2w

Flight crew screening system needs to be reviewed, passenger confidence restored - Tiong

Culture / 1mth

Penang: Three refurbished tourism attractions to be ‘reopened’ soon

Malaysia / 1mth

New Malaysia-Thailand border crossing: Businesses will not be affected, says tourism authority

Events / 1mth

Penang taps Middle East medical tourism market

Places / 1mth

Penang to work with neighbour, Kedah to promote tourism

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns