Business

Megaship that blocked Suez heads back to Asia

MV Ever Given unloads cargo in Britain, now on its way to China

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 22 Aug 2021 8:00AM

Megaship that blocked Suez heads back to Asia
The MV Ever Given sailing in open waters accompanied by Egypt-flagged tugboats. – SCA Twitter pic, August 22, 2021

CAIRO – A super tanker that blocked the Suez Canal is heading back to Asia, authorities said, five months after it became wedged across the vital waterway and crippled world trade.

The MV Ever Given had “successfully crossed” the canal after unloading its cargo in Britain and is now on its way to China, Suez Canal Authority chief Osama Rabie said on Friday.

Rabie said that the vessel’s passage on Friday was overseen by “senior” guides of the authority.

The vessel was seen sailing in open waters accompanied by Egypt-flagged tugboats in aerial video footage posted on the SCA’s Twitter account.

The Ever Given – a behemoth with deadweight tonnage of 199,000 – got stuck diagonally across the canal during a sandstorm on March 23.

A round-the-clock salvage operation took six days to dislodge it.

After it was freed, Egypt seized the ship and demanded compensation from owners Shoei Kisen Kaisha for lost canal revenues, salvage costs and damage to the waterway.

The Taiwanese-operated vessel steamed out of the Suez last month after the Japanese owners reached a compensation deal with Egypt.

The terms of the deal were not disclosed publicly but Egypt had originally demanded more than US$900 million (RM3.8 billion) in compensation, which it later reduced to US$550 million.

One employee of the SCA was killed during the rescue operation.

In May, Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi approved a two-year project to widen and deepen the southern part of the waterway where the ship ran aground to avoid any repetition of the crisis.

Egypt, which takes a toll from ships traversing the canal, said the crisis cost it as much as US$15 million per day, while maritime insurers estimated the hit to world trade to be in the billions.

Last month, the SCA’s Rabie said the canal netted Egypt a record US$5.84 billion in the last tax year, despite the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on world trade plus the cargo ship’s blockage. – AFP, August 22, 2021

Related News

Business / 1w

Port businesses badly hit by uncertainty over commingled oil tax – maritime expert

Malaysia / 5mth

PPC closely monitoring global shipping conditions amidst escalating tensions in Middle East

Malaysia / 9mth

Boat capsize: Another body found, bringing the total to 27

World / 1y

Israel, Hamas reach ceasefire deal for January 19

Malaysia / 1y

Russian yacht swept aground in Kuala Oya due to strong waves

Malaysia / 2y

Sabah traders shelve plans to raise import prices

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns