Business

DoJ sues to block American Airlines-JetBlue alliance

AGs in 6 states, District of Columbia join suit

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 22 Sep 2021 7:30PM

DoJ sues to block American Airlines-JetBlue alliance
The US attorney-general says American Airlines’ ‘alliance’ with JetBlue is an ‘unprecedented manoeuvre to further consolidate the industry’. – Twitter pic, September 22, 2021

WASHINGTON – The United States Justice Department (DoJ) yesterday filed a suit to block an alliance between American Airlines and JetBlue that it said will harm travellers by reducing competition.

“In an industry where just four airlines control more than 80% of domestic air travel, American Airlines’ ‘alliance’ with JetBlue is, in fact, an unprecedented manoeuvre to further consolidate the industry,” said Attorney-General Merrick B. Garland in a statement.

Attorneys-general in six states and the District of Columbia have joined the suit over the Northeast Alliance (NEA).

The companies announced the deal in July last year at a time when carriers were struggling to survive amid the collapse of travel during the Covid-19 pandemic. It would consolidate routes through Boston and the three New York airports.

But, Garland said the deal “would result in higher fares, fewer choices, and lower-quality service if allowed to continue”.

The complaint noted that American Airlines is the largest carrier in the world, and together with competitors Delta, United and Southwest, controls nearly all US passenger air travel.

Unable to complete former mergers, American Airlines “has relentlessly pursued a strategy of industry consolidation in the US and around the world”, said the statement.

American Airlines chairman and CEO Doug Parker said the alliance has delivered “clear consumer benefits”.

“Ironically, the DoJ suit seeks to take away consumer choice and inhibit competition, not encourage it,” he said in a statement, adding that the firm will be “vigorously rebutting DoJ’s claims”.

American Airlines in a separate statement said “before the alliance, Delta and United dominated the New York City market. NEA has created a third, full-scale competitor in New York, and is empowering more growth in Boston”.

“This is not a merger: American Airlines and JetBlue are – and will remain – independent airlines,” it added.

However, acting assistant attorney-general Richard Powers said the partnership “will closely tie JetBlue’s fate to that of American Airlines, significantly reducing JetBlue incentives to compete with its much larger partner in the northeast and beyond”.

Powers, of DoJ’s antitrust division, added: “Consumers will be better off if American Airlines and JetBlue continue to be fierce competitors, not allies.”

The attorneys-general of Arizona, California, Florida, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia and the District of Columbia joined the suit calling for the partnership to be blocked. – AFP, September 22, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

Cops say no info yet on repatriation of two Malaysians from Guantanamo Bay

Malaysia / 2y

Penang-born fugitive Fat Leonard sent back to the US

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns