Business

Saudi Aramco profits dive in coronavirus-hit third quarter

Despite its relative resilience, the Saudi energy giant is bracing for a possible further wave of coronavirus infections

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Nov 2020 5:00PM

Saudi Aramco profits dive in coronavirus-hit third quarter
Aramco's net profit for the first nine months of this year also dropped 48.6% to US$35.02 billion. – AFP pic, November 3, 2020

RIYADH – Energy giant Saudi Aramco on Tuesday posted a 44.6% slump in third-quarter profit, as the coronavirus pandemic weighs heavily on the global demand for crude oil.

The behemoth, the world's most valuable listed company, posted a net profit of 44.21 billion Saudi riyals (RM48.97 billion), compared to US$21.3 billion in the same period last year.

The results are in line with analysts' expectations but stand in contrast to the losses reported by Aramco's rivals, which are reeling from pandemic-driven economic shutdowns that have suppressed energy requirements.

Aramco's net profit for the first nine months of this year also dropped 48.6% to US$35.02 billion, the company said.

Although the results underscore a downbeat oil market, Aramco's July-September results showed an improvement compared to the second quarter, when it posted a profit of US$6.57 billion.

"We saw early signs of a recovery in the third quarter due to improved economic activity, despite the headwinds facing global energy markets," Aramco's chief executive Amin Nasser said in the statement.

"We continue to adopt a disciplined and flexible approach to capital allocation in the face of market volatility. We are confident in Aramco's ability to manage through these challenging times and deliver on our objectives."

Double whammy

Nasser said Aramco was committed to delivering a dividend of US$18.75 billion to shareholders for the third quarter – an amount that exceeds the declared profit.

The announcement is in line with the company's pledge before its much-hyped IPO last year to pay a dividend of US$75 billion for 2020.

"Aramco's dividend payout is now much bigger than its income," said Tarek Fadlallah, chief executive officer of the Middle East unit of Nomura Asset Management.

"Not a problem if oil rebounds next year. But it will be a big problem if it doesn't," he added.

Dividend payments from Aramco, seen as the kingdom's cash cow, help the Saudi government manage its widening budget deficit.

Aramco was listed on the Saudi bourse last December following the world's biggest initial public offering, generating US$29.4 billion for 1.7% of its shares.

Last month, several oil giants including ExxonMobil and Chevron reported another quarter of red ink as uncertainty over oil demand forced the energy sector to rein in spending. 

By contrast, Aramco's results reflected its "resilience", Nasser said.

But the Saudi energy giant is bracing for a possible further wave of coronavirus infections that could undermine a tentative global economic recovery and erode the demand for crude worldwide, analysts say.

The company has cut its capital spending this year and also slashed hundreds of jobs as it seeks to reduce costs, Bloomberg News reported in June.

Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest crude exporter, has been hit hard by the double whammy of low prices and sharp cuts in production.

A sharp drop in oil income is expected to hinder Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's ambitious plans to overhaul the kingdom's energy-reliant economy. – AFP, November 3, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Opinion / 1mth

Modernity beyond the West? What Saudi Arabia is really testing

Opinion / 1mth

US attacks in the Gulf show the weaknesses of MOUs

World / 1mth

Saudi Aramco helicopter crash kills 14 nationals (video)

World / 1mth

Oil prices rise after Iran shuts Hormuz again, Trump threatens new attacks

Malaysia / 2mth

Acquisition of two gas blocks to Petronas an extraordinary development - PM

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist