Business

Nissan’s US$95 mil suit against Ghosn begins in Japan

Company wants to hold former chairman responsible for his misconduct and fraud

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Nov 2020 3:10PM

Nissan’s US$95 mil suit against Ghosn begins in Japan
Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn said the civil suit was an extension of 'the extremely unreasonable internal investigation with sinister intent by a portion of Nissan’s senior management and the unreasonable arrests and indictments by the public prosecutors' – Wikipedia pic, November 13, 2020

TOKYO – Proceedings in a US$95 million (RM392.2 million) suit brought by Japanese car giant Nissan against its former chairman Carlos Ghosn began on Friday in a court near Tokyo.

Nissan filed the suit against Ghosn in February and is seeking 10 billion yen over what it said were “years of his misconduct and fraudulent activity”.

Ghosn is an international fugitive after jumping bail last year and fleeing Japan, where he was awaiting trial on charges of financial misconduct, which he denies.

Nissan says the suit is aimed at “holding Ghosn accountable for the harm and financial losses incurred by the company due to the misconduct”

In a statement, Ghosn said the civil suit was an extension of “the extremely unreasonable internal investigation with sinister intent by a portion of Nissan’s senior management and the unreasonable arrests and indictments by the public prosecutors”.

He said his Japanese defence team, which is representing him in his absence, “will show that the suspicions of wrongfulness and charges... have absolutely no foundation".

Ghosn spent more than 100 days in detention in Japan after his sudden November 2018 arrest, but launched an audacious escape while out on bail in Tokyo, arriving in Lebanon apparently undetected.

He alleges Nissan turned on him over concerns he wanted to more closely integrate the carmaker with French partner Renault.

Renault has also filed a civil claim for damages against Ghosn over alleged financial misconduct.

Ghosn’s former aide Greg Kelly remains in Japan and pleaded not guilty to allegations of financial misconduct at his first court hearing in Tokyo in September.

Two men accused of helping Ghosn flee Tokyo are currently being held in the United States, where they are fighting extradition to Japan. – AFP, November 13, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 22h

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia / 1d

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

Malaysia / 1d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3d

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Malaysia / 1w

Malaysian dies while transiting in Bangkok to Japan (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Rosmah granted conditional stay on RM67.5m jewellery payment

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit