Business

1% quota for disabled community under MyStep remains: MoF

It was not mentioned during Budget 2023’s tabling due to time constraint, says ministry

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 12 Oct 2022 5:05PM

1% quota for disabled community under MyStep remains: MoF
The Finance Ministry clarifies today that the 1% quota for persons with disabilities allocated under the Malaysia Short-term Employment Programme initiative will still be in force although it was not mentioned when the Budget 2023 was tabled last Friday. – Pixabay pic, October 12, 2022

KUALA LUMPUR – The Finance Ministry (MoF) today clarified that the 1% quota for persons with disabilities (PwD) allocated under the Malaysia Short-term Employment Programme (MyStep) initiative will still be in force although it was not mentioned when the Budget 2023 was tabled last Friday.

According to MoF, it is aware that Budget 2023 was still subject to Parliament’s approval after the 15th general election(GE15), but the ministry believes it is necessary on its part to provide clarification on some matters that are not clear or have been misinterpreted in relation to Budget 2023.

The ministry said this is because there was a time constraint for Finance Minister Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz to detail the more than 200 initiatives during the Budget’s presentation.

“The 1% quota for PwDs has indeed been included in the MyStep initiative which will provide 50,000 job opportunities on a contract basis, but this matter was not mentioned during the presentation because most of the main measures of Budget 2023 had to be presented in general to comply with the set time limit,” explained MoF in a statement today.

MoF said there is also a proposal to increase the MyStep salary scale by RM100 to between RM1,500 and RM2,100.

Apart from this, MoF said the government will also continue to empower the disabled through various measures including direct cash assistance, mobility assistance, the construction of special nurseries for the disabled, and the improvement of teaching facilities in schools for the disabled.

The media had previously reported that there were parties who had asked the government to review the quota system for the MyStep programme since the special quota for the disabled was not announced this time around unlike in the Budget 2022. – Bernama October 12, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Sabah does not agree to 200-litre diesel quota, forms special committee - Masidi

Malaysia / 4mth

Report: Subsidised RON95 entitlement to be reduced from 300 to 200 litres per month

People / 5mth

Disabled man washes cars for as little as RM3 to support family of five

Malaysia / 9mth

Disabled female secondary student molested by schoolmate

Malaysia / 9mth

BUDI95 fuel quota raised to 800L for e-hailing drivers

Malaysia / 11mth

2 Pakistani men charged with kissing, keeping photos of disabled child

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns