Business

Estee Lauder says yes to buying Tom Ford brand for US$2.3 bil

Fashion superstar to remain in position as creative director for now

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 16 Nov 2022 8:36AM

Estee Lauder says yes to buying Tom Ford brand for US$2.3 bil
Estee Lauder hasvsaid in a statement yesterday it had agreed to buy designer Tom Ford’s company for US$2.3 billion, including its cosmetic and fragrance lines. – AFP pic, November 16, 2022

NEW YORK – Luxury beauty brand Estee Lauder said in a statement yesterday it had agreed to buy designer Tom Ford’s company for US$2.3 billion.

The deal, which values Ford’s business at US$2.8 billion, will see the fashion superstar remain in his position as creative director until the end of next year, the statement said.

Bringing the brand under the “stewardship” of the Estee Lauder Companies (ELC) “will allow for continuity and the further evolution of the Tom Ford brand as one of the preeminent global luxury brands of the twenty-first century,” ELC said in its statement.

The deal includes the Tom Ford Beauty cosmetics and fragrance collection, with which Estee Lauder already has a licensing agreement until 2030.

“We are incredibly proud of the success Tom Ford Beauty has achieved in luxury fragrance and makeup and its dedication to creating desirable, high-quality products for discerning consumers around the world,” head of Estee Lauder Companies Fabrizio Freda said in the statement.

“This strategic acquisition will unlock new opportunities and fortify our growth plans for Tom Ford Beauty,” he added.

The deal also includes licenses for the brand’s men’s and women’s fashion lines, eyewear label and accessories and underwear divisions, according to the statement.

“I could not be happier with this acquisition as The Estee Lauder Companies is the ideal home for the brand,” 61-year-old Ford said in the statement.

Domenico De Sole, chairman of Tom Ford International, will remain at the company as a consultant until Ford leaves at the end of 2023, the ELC statement said.

Ford, who first launched his brand in 2005, is the current head of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.

He launched film production company Fade to Black in 2005, and previously worked as creative director at Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent in the 1990s and early 2000s. – AFP, November 16, 2022

Related News

Fashion / 1mth

Beyond weddings and festivals: How BIBA is reshaping perceptions of Indian fashion in Malaysia

Fashion / 3mth

Fashion icon, venture capitalist come together to unlock value of creative arts and fashion industries

Events / 10mth

Fashion gala and vogue glam for senior citizens to be launched

Malaysia / 1y

High Court declares fashion designer Jovian bankrupt after loan dispute

Culture / 1y

Fashion show takes centre stage at Taiping’s 150th anniversary celebrations

Events / 2y

Beauty galore: pageants, fashion shows return

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Business

Govt rules out RM7.5b Datasonic takeover amid identity security concerns