Business

Exxon Mobil to write down assets by up to US$20 bil in Q4

Oil giant slashes capital spending due to low oil prices amid coronavirus pandemic

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Dec 2020 9:00AM

Exxon Mobil to write down assets by up to US$20 bil in Q4
ExxonMobil, which has reported losses the last three quarters, says it will account for a US$17 billion to US$20 billion write-down in the fourth quarter based on shifting assets from the United States, Canada and Argentina out of its development plan  – Pixabay pic, December 1, 2020

NEW YORK – Exxon Mobil said Monday it will write down as much as US$20 billion (RM81.48 billion) in assets as the oil giant slashes capital spending due to low oil prices amid the coronavirus pandemic.

ExxonMobil, which has reported losses the last three quarters, said it will account for a US$17 billion to US$20 billion write-down in the fourth quarter based on shifting assets from the United States, Canada and Argentina out of its development plan.

To raise money, the company also plans to divest less strategic assets, depending on market conditions.

“Continued emphasis on high-grading the asset base – through exploration, divestment and prioritisation of advantaged development opportunities – will improve earnings power and cash generation, and rebuild balance sheet capacity to manage future commodity price cycles while working to maintain a reliable dividend,” said chief executive officer Darren Woods.

The announcement is the latest sign of how the industry-wide downturn has dragged down ExxonMobil, which was bumped from the prestigious Dow index earlier this year.

The company said last month it was cutting 15% of its global staff through 2022.

ExxonMobil plans a capital budget of between US$16 and US$19 billion in 2021, down from 2020's expected level of $23 billion. It foresees spending between $20 and $25 billion annually through 2025.

Earlier Monday, members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries failed to reach agreement on production limits and set plans to resume talks on Tuesday.

– AFP, December 1, 2020

Related News

Business / 6h

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

World / 1d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Malaysia / 4w

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist