Business

Tiktok in talks with potential buyers after US threatens nationwide ban

Social media platform exploring different options, including potential deals from Trump era

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 17 Mar 2023 12:27PM

Tiktok in talks with potential buyers after US threatens nationwide ban
The legislation, according to the White House, would empower the United States government to prevent certain foreign governments from exploiting technology services operating in the US in a way that poses risks to Americans’ sensitive data and US national security. – Bernama pic, March 17, 2023

WASHINGTON – TikTok is in talks with potential buyers after the Biden administration threatened to ban the video-sharing platform nationwide if its Chinese owners did not sell their stakes, The New York Post reported citing sources familiar with the matter.

The report said on Thursday that TikTok is considering exploring different options, including potential deals that were under consideration when former president Donald Trump threatened to ban the app in 2020.

The source did not provide additional details about what the possible deals are, but pointed out that a proposal under the Trump administration was for software giant Oracle, owned by billionaire Larry Ellison, and Walmart to partner to own a US TikTok subsidiary that would control all US user data.

Last week, national security adviser Jake Sullivan said the White House supports an effort in the US Congress to pass legislation granting new authorities to address threats posed by foreign technology, such as TikTok, to the United States.

Sputnik reported that the legislation, according to the White House, would empower the US government to prevent certain foreign governments from exploiting technology services operating in the US in a way that poses risks to Americans’ sensitive data and US national security. 

The legislation comes amid concerns about ties between TikTok and the Chinese government.

The ban on TikTok and WeChat was part of a long-running diplomatic and trade war waged by the Trump administration against China prior to Biden’s term, which began in January 2021. – Bernama, March 17, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Two podcasters remanded for two days over alleged controversial episode

Malaysia / 3mth

Food stall operator in Ipoh robbed by two men, daughter appeals for help (video)

Malaysia / 5mth

Defence questions prosecution's reliance on TikTok videos presented in Muhyiddin's trial

Malaysia / 5mth

Timorese man gets 10 years’ jail for raping girl he met on TikTok

People / 5mth

Rape victim, now pregnant, takes to social media seeking prayers

Malaysia / 11mth

Fahmi, IGP, AG to meet TikTok over fake news, online safety issues

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets